The BEST Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe on the web! So moist and delicious filled with cornmeal, corn kernels, spice, a hint of sweet and so much flavor!
I love cornbread. I think we get that by now. I believe in having several different cornbread recipes for different occasions too. This Mexican cornbread recipe is my style and perfect for a hot bowl of soup like this pozole or for you to bring to next Mexican Fiesta.
What is Mexican Cornbread?
What makes this Mexican cornbread recipe so darn special you may ask? Well first of all, it is perfectly moist like all of my cornbread recipes. It melts in your mouth. Who wants hard cornbread that crumbles to dust as soon as you pick it up? Not I that’s for sure.
How to Make Mexican Cornbread
I like to add an abundance of flavors. These are the most important elements:
- Cornmeal – scratch cornbread always starts with this.
- Cheese – I use two types in my Mexican cornbread while most only use two.
- Corn – Creamed canned corn is perfect or if you want to use some of my mama’s fried corn recipe
- Buttermilk – definitely adds a moist touch to the bread
- Chile peppers – gives that nice spicy kick
Why is this recipe Easy Mexican Cornbread? What makes it easy?
You can easily throw all of the ingredients into one bowl to make this recipe. It could not get easier. You don’t need to dirty up a ton of dishes that you will be washing all night. The ease of this recipe is what is so key.
Regarding the cheeses, I think the mix of cheddar AND pepper jack lends a unique blend of goodness. I love both cheeses equally and especially when paired together (try them in your quesadillas!).
The creamed corn really moves this past your wildest dreams. Each bite of this Mexican cornbread gives you a nice creamy bite of corn that really creates this perfect texture. And if you love a little bit more spice, definitely add in the peppers.
My husband can’t take things too spicy so I usually just rely on the pepper jack cheese for a mild kick. But if you are like me and love spicy foods, add the peppers. So if you are looking for a new bread recipe to try, give this Mexican cornbread recipe a go! You won’t be sorry. If you want some more fun summer corn recipes, also check out this Mexican grilled corn, this Southern fried corn, or this Southern Succotash recipe.
Easy Mexican Cornbread Recipe (How to Make Mexican Cornbread)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus more to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese plus more to sprinkle on top
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 ounces cream-style corn 1 can
- 1/2 stick salted butter melted
- 4 ounces diced green chiles 1 can
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, corn meal, baking powder, sugar, cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese until well mixed.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, cream-style corn, diced green chiles if using, and melted butter.
- Slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix together until well combined.
- Coat cast iron skillet or baking pan with shortening or spray with non-stick baking spray until fully covered. Add cornbread mixture to skillet. Optional: Sprinkle additional shredded cheeses on top of cornbread batter.
- Place in oven for 23-26 minutes until cornbread is done. Remove from oven and serve.