Perfectly light and savory Orange Honey Roast Chicken baked at a high heat and basted in an orange zest honey.
I’m in love with a chicken, specifically this chicken. It screams Spring with its beautifully bright and sunny colors and light flavors. Now you know how much I adore chicken dishes. This Lemon Roast Chicken and Potatoes recipe on my site is a big favorite of mine but I really adore the melding of sweet and citrusy flavors in this quite special dish, I’m excited to share it today.
I started with Honey Roast Chicken recipe and added the flair of orange zest, and orange juice to carrots and beans. The flavor was to die for and this will become a favorite of mine for Sunday night dinners for years to come.
To check out my delicious Orange Honey Roast Chicken recipe, check it out below.
And if you want another citrus chicken favorite, try my Lemon Roast Chicken Recipe HERE!
Orange Honey Roast Chicken
- 3 1/2 pound whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup champagne sparkling wine, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup green beans
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 1 small orange thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse chicken cavity; pat chicken dry with paper towels. Skewer neck skin to back; tie legs to tail. Place chicken in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours or until drumsticks move easily in sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Add orange zest to honey then brush with half the honey and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the tarragon. Roast about 5 minutes more or until the chicken has a golden brown glaze.
- Remove chicken from pan and tent with foil. Transfer roasting pan to stove top. Add shallots, champagne, orange juice, broth, remaining honey, and green beans (if using). Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until juices thicken slightly and shallots are tender. Add green beans and carrots to pan. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through. To serve, return chicken to pan. If desired, drizzle with remaining honey.