Tender and juicy and downright addictive, these Southern Fried Pork Chops Recipe is marinated in a spicy buttermilk, breaded in a flavorful flour dredge then pan fried until golden brown creating the ultimate crunch and deliciousness!! If you love these, you will adore my Fried Pork Chops and Gravy Smothered Pork Chops. Serve with my Collard Greens or Mustard Greens , Pinto Beans and some Hot Water Cornbread or Corn Muffins for a true down home meal.
Delicious Southern Fried Pork Chops Recipe
Southern food is synonymous with the word “fried” and with good reason. From catfish and tomatoes to okra and chicken, us Southern folk can fry it all.
Yes, we all know its not the healthiest way to prepare your food but its damn delicious. Every now and then we all need a bit of comfort food; something to warm the belly and please the soul. When I need that little pick me up I reach for a simple, tasty Fried Pork Chop.
How Do You Make Southern Fried Pork Chops
Southern Pork Chops are a simple favorite, easy to make but still so indulgent.
The initial crunch, the tender bite of meat and that spice that tickles on your tongue just the right way. Heaven on earth. Only a few things are necessary to create perfect fried pork chops:
- Marinade flavor building
- Flour dredging for crispy
- Frying technique
How to Tenderize Pork Chops
There are two ways your Southern Fried Pork Chops recipe can end up tough:
- Not having tender pork chops in the first place
If you think your raw pork chops are kinda tough to begin with, you can use a mallet to really break down the meat more and make them much more tender prior to the marinating and cooking process.
What is the Best Seasoning for Southern Pork Chops? How to make Breaded Pork Chops seasoning really crunchy?
The seasoned buttermilk soak allows the meat to not only build flavor but keep the meat itself moist and tender. I season the buttermilk with hot sauce.
It provides the salt needed to enhance the taste and also a nice spice.
- I also believe in seasoning the flour. For more flavor, I also season with salt and pepper on the actual pork chops. Using seasoned salt is a nice element to add additional flavor. It is usually salt seasoned with additional spices to create more depth for your dish.
- Feel free to adjust spice elements like cayenne, hot sauce and paprika based on your preference. If you prefer more spice, definitely add a bit more. Just be careful when adding cayenne because it can pack major spice.
How Do You Cook Pork Chops on the Stove? – How to Fry Pork Chops?
The flour dredge will ensure that you have crispy, flavorful coating on each pork chop. Once cooked, each bite will you have you wondering how you lived this long without this recipe.
I personally like to use a self rising flour for more lift on the pork chops. The buttermilk wash also assist in creating a super crispy crunchy batter on the outside.
Deep Fried Pork Chops Or Pan Fried Pork Chops??
This comes down to preference. You can fry these in a cast iron skillet to pay fry or even in a deep fryer. You will get amazing results either way.
With a Deep Fryer, you will get even cooking that results in faster frying of course for deep fried pork chops.
Pan Fried pork chops are more an old school method that my family used a lot. You will have to turn over the pork chops midway through cooking to ensure that your pan fried pork chops turn out perfectly and evenly cooked.
Another element that will create crunchy fried pork chops is making sure the oil is perfectly hot. If you want your pork chops golden brown, you must make sure your oil is hot enough. Draining on paper towels is a great way to also make sure your pork chops stay crispy and don’t become soggy after they are fried.
What Is Good To Eat With Fried Pork Chops?
This fried pork chops recipe is a cozy weeknight dinner just waiting to happen. Pair them with a bright summer salad, succotash, roasted vegetables or Baked mac and cheese for that extra dose of comfort.
No matter what you choose my Fried Pork Chops will transport those taste buds straight down South. Roll up your sleeves, pop out those chops and get to working because you and I both know you’re frying some of these up tonight!
If you love this Southern Fried Pork Chops recipe, you will love these recipes:
- Check out my Smothered Pork Chops Recipe! It takes fried pork chops to another level!
- This Chicken Fried Steak recipe is insanely delicious and comforting!
- Get real down with southern grub with my Fried Chicken Gizzards recipe!
- How about frying some Buttermilk Fried Chicken while you are at it!
Southern Fried Pork Chops Recipe
- 1 lb pork chops
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 1/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp seasoned salt plus to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper plus to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups canola oil
- Season pork chops with salt and black pepper to taste on both sides.
- Next whisk hot sauce into buttermilk and dip pork chops into buttermilk mixture. Allow to soak for an hour.
- In a large plastic bag, add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika and mix until combined.
- Put pork chops into seasoned flour and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to set flour.
- Heat oil over medium high heat.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides. Once fried, remove and add to paper towel to drain oil.