This Easy Tomato Tart Recipe on Puff Pastry adds tender caramelized onions, fresh tomato and spiced pepperjack cheese to the flakiest mini butter crust! They are perfect for serving on a whim and impressing your guests. Serve with other mini entertaining favorites like Pimento Cheese and Crackers, Fried Green Tomatoes and Salmon Croquettes for a lovely and simple prep.
Easy Tomato Tart Recipe (Puff Pastry)
The Oscars are this Sunday, and it’s about to get real in my house (hence these Oscar Tomato Tarts). My husband and I take the Academy Awards very seriously. It isn’t a game. What do you expect from two movie buffs that majored in film (me) and broadcast journalism (him)?
A typical scene in my house on Oscar Sunday includes several hours of research along with final predictions of the winners that evening before the red carpet sightings begin. Whoever wins the prediction game gets bragging rights for the entire year. By Sunday, we will have seen all of the nominees in the Best Picture, Director, Writing and Acting categories per usual. Told ya its serious.
How to Make Tomato Tarts Appetizer
These tomato tarts are just incredibly delicious but what can you expect when you add caramelized onions, pepper jack cheese and tomatoes to an egg wash brushed puff pastry tartlet?
I find the union of an egg and puff pastry magical. The egg adds a gorgeous shine and golden browning that the pastry can’t achieve on its on. It is a must for me anytime I work with puff pastry.
Tips for Making Tomato Tart Recipe
Tip 1: For Caramelized Onions – I like to use both butter and olive oil. The oil has a higher burning point so your onions won’t burn and the butter adds additional flavor.
Tip 2: Use a round cookie cutter – They create uniform circles ensuring that you have the same size for each tart and also make the job easier. It also helps with uniform baking. If you don’t have a round cookie cutter, you can use the back of an empty can.
Tip 3: Don’t skip the egg wash – The egg wash on the puff pastry will give a beautiful glossy and golden brown color once the tarts are baked. This is a crucial step.
Tomato Tarts Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets puff pastry thawed according to package instructions
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon water beaten
- 2 large tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pepperjack cheese shredded
- Fresh parsley and herbs
- Melt butter and olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions to pan, season with salt and pepper and cook, continuing to stir, until tender and golden brown (this process takes a while- up to 20 minutes) then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut circles of dough out of puff pastry and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush egg wash on each pastry circle then top each with a tomato slice in the direct center.
- Next add caramelized onions on top of each tomato slice and sprinkle shredded cheese.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until tarts are puffy and golden brown and cheese has turned golden and melty. Top with parsley and herbs if you would like. Cool for a few minutes then serve.