This Pizza Meatloaf is a hearty, flavorful meatloaf base is loaded with melted cheese, then smothered in rich tomato sauce to make this drop dead delicious dinner! This easy comfort food recipe your family will keep coming back to! If you love this, you will love this Homemade Hamburger Helper, Homemade Meatloaf Recipe, Classic Stuffed Meatloaf, Salisbury Steak Meatball Skillet, and Mississippi Pot Roast.
*In my best infomercial voice* Don’t you ever get tired of your boring old meatloaf? Looking to upgrade that old family recipe? Well, you’ve come to the right place! GBC has got the recipe for you.
Haha okay, all jokes aside, I’m super excited to share today’s recipe with you! Pizza Meatloaf has come to kick that boring old brick of yours out the door. Hearty, cheesy, and saucy, this incredible meatloaf is both unique and flavorful!
There’s just nothing to hate with this recipe. You’ve got the best parts of pizza (which we all love) and classic meatloaf coming together to create the best bite of food you’ll ever have.
What more can I say? Let’s just go make this thing!
WHAT IS A STUFFED MEATLOAF?
Stuffed meatloaf is basically just a traditional meatloaf with a surprise in the center! Most recipes will be filled with cheese, veggies, bacon, or just about anything else you can think of.
HOW TO MAKE A PIZZA STUFFED MEATLOAF
- Mix the Pizza Meatloaf- First things first, we need a base! Stir up all the ingredients, except for the mozzarella, in a large mixing bowl. Transfer the meat mixture to a 9×5 loaf pan, using your hands to evenly spread it.
- Stuff It- Use the back of a spoon or your fingers to scoop a well down the center of the meatloaf. Lovingly place that soon to be oozy mozzarella cheese in that well, then cover it up so there’s no cheese exposed.
- Bake- Place that bad boy in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. You’ve got work to do in the meantime!
- Make the Sauce- As you listen to that meatloaf sizzle, stir together the sauce and seasonings in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Cook the sauce until it begins to bubble, then set aside. Or if you run out of time, grab a store bought like this one.
- Rest + Serve- Once out of the oven, smother the meatloaf with sauce and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve!
In my kitchen, it’s always okay to play with your food! Okay, maybe not when it hits the plate but definitely while you’re cooking it.
Use this recipe as a base for your very own experiments. Try adding your favorite pizza toppings into the mix!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- CHEESE- there’s already a whole bunch of mozzarella in this recipe, but you could totally swap it out for a cheese of your choosing. A sharp cheddar, fontina, gruyere, or provolone are all great options!
- BACON, HAM, OR PEPPERONI- more of a meat lover? Add a salty, tender, and hearty ingredient to this already meaty dish for a delicious upgrade.
- ONIONS + PEPPERS- both are staple toppings that add crunch, acidity, and a slight bitterness. Any color pepper or onion totally works.
- SPINACH, MUSHROOMS, OLIVES- maybe you’re more a veggie lover or looking to sneak a little something healthy into your kiddos dinner. Anything goes!
HOW CAN YOU TELL MEATLOAF IS DONE?
The easiest and most efficient way to tell if meatloaf is done is by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part. If the thermometer reads at least 165 degrees, you’re good to go!
Don’t be concerned if there’s a little bit of pink in the center of the pizza meatloaf. As long as the thermometer reads the correct temperature, it’s okay to eat. If you wait for the center to turn brown, you’re guaranteed a very dry result.
Store any leftover meatloaf in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If you don’t think you’ll eat the leftovers in that time, go ahead and follow the freezing instructions below.
CAN PIZZA MEATLOAF BE FROZEN?
Yes! You can freeze meatloaf cooked or uncooked for up to 6 months. If it’s cooked, I like to cut it into individual servings and wrap each one in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped slices in a zip top freezer bag. You can also freeze the entire loaf (cooked or uncooked) using this same method, just don’t slice it first.
When ready to eat, thaw the meatloaf in the fridge overnight. If it hasn’t been cooked yet, just follow my instructions. If you’re reheating it, bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees or until heated through. You can also microwave it for 1-2 minutes at a time until it’s hot and ready!
GRANDBABY CAKES’ BEST PIZZA RECIPES
I scream, you scream, we all scream for… wait, wrong phrase. Either way, your girl is craving some PIZZA! Wanna share a slice with me?
If the answer is yes (which of course it should be), try out a few of my cheesiest, sauciest recipes:
- PIZZA GRILLED CHEESE
- SICILIAN PIZZA
- GRILLED PROSCIUTTO ARUGULA PIZZA
- PEPPERONI PIZZA BOMBS
- PERFECT NEAPOLITAN PIZZA
Pizza Stuffed Meatloaf
For the Meatloaf
- 2 lbs ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup pepperoni chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp seasoned salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
For the Sauce
- 32 oz pizza sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped plush more for garnish
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
For the Meatloaf
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper so that some hangs off the sides for easy removal.
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl with the exception of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Form the meat mixture into the shape of the loaf pan and place in the pan.
- Make a horizontal well down the center of the meatloaf with your hand, wide enough to add the shredded cheese. Place the cheese in the middle of the meatloaf and seal the opening with the meat mixture so that no cheese is exposed.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.
For the Sauce
- While the meatloaf is baking, add sauce and seasonings and stir together to a medium saucepan or pot over medium heat and cook until it begins to bubble.
- Turn down heat to low and occasionally stir while the meatloaf is baking.
- Once the meatloaf is completely baked, remove the meatloaf from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes then remove from the pan and place on a serving platter (slide the parchment paper away) then, ladle the sauce over the top and garnish with parsley.
- Then slice for servings.