Brown Sugar Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe – Prepared in a flash, this tender, flavorful, savory yet sweet pot roast that melts in your mouth is calling your name!
Disclosure: I partnered with Land O’Lakes for this Mississippi Pot Roast recipe post, but all opinions expressed here are my own. I am grateful for authentic partnerships like this.
About 15 years ago a woman from Ripley, MS, named Robin Chapman, made a pot roast in her slow cooker. Now known as Mississippi Roast, it eventually became one of the most popular recipes on the internet.
Since then, this pot roast has taken on a life of its own and has even become one of my personal favorites.
What is a Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe?
The simplicity of this Mississippi Pot Roast is where its true beauty lies. A chuck roast, ranch dressing mix, au jus gravy mix, Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil, and some pepperoncini peppers come together to make the tastiest, tenderest, most delicious pot roast ever.
Although I certainly do find use for my crock pot year-round, the fall and winter months call for an abundance of easy, comforting and delicious meals produced by my trusty crock pot. There’s nothing like dumping a few ingredients in, setting the heat to low and coming home to a beautifully cooked hot meal. My mama depended on hers all the time, and I have followed in her footsteps.
How to Cook a Pot Roast
This Mississippi Pot Roast is made perfectly with just a few flavorful ingredients. My secret to the perfect pot roast is quality butter, and my go-to choice is always Land O’Lakes.
I used the Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. Made with sweet cream, canola oil and salt, this blend is both creamy and packed with flavor. Adding this particular ingredient will allow your meat to tenderize perfectly and create that incredible melt in your mouth texture.
Additional Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe Ingredients
The peppers and mixes come together to make a playful balance of flavors. I added a fun extra ingredient, brown sugar. The sweetness from the sugar, slight sourness from the pepper and delightful but not heavy seasoning from the mixes creates something truly special.
After patiently waiting the eight or more hours, you are rewarded with incredibly tender and flavorful meat perfect to serve with mashed potatoes. So, as you get ready to break out those one pot pastas and slow cooker soups, make sure to dust off the crockpot and make yourself a hunk of good ole Mississippi Pot Roast.
If you love this Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe, check out these as well:
- My Italian Pot Roast is seriously my husband’s favorite recipe ever!
- If you love pot roast, try your hand at making beef ribs!
- There’s nothing better than braised short ribs!
- All steak fans seriously rave about my Skirt Steak marinade!
Prepared in a flash, this tender, flavorful, savory yet sweet pot roast that melts in your mouth is calling your name!
- 2-4 lb chuck roast
- 1 ranch dressing packet
- 1 au jus gravy packet
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 7 pepperocini peppers
- 8 tbsp Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil
- Add the roast to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Next pour ranch dressing packet, gravy mix and brown sugar over the top.
- Add peppers on top followed by Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil.
- Add everything to slow cooker and cook for 8-10 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high. Use a spoon to remove additional oil on top of pot roast.
- Once completely tender, shred with two forks and serve over mashed potatoes.