Chicken pot pie recipe – The most delicious and comforting recipe ever! You will want to curl up on the couch next to the fire with a bowl of this!
WINTER COMFORT FOOD
Nothing comforts me more in the winter than chicken pot pie. I adore it! It is a tiny bit more special than a bowl of soup (chicken noodle and tortilla). And it just so happens to take stew to the next level with its flaky buttery crust. This chicken pot pie recipe is one of the only reasons why, other than Christmas, I look forward to the winter.
HOMEMADE CHICKEN POT PIE
When I was young, there were special Sundays when my mom would pull out all the stops and make her homemade chicken pot pie recipe. This was considered special because it does take time to create this masterpiece though there are several versions that save time with cream of chicken soups and pre-made crusts.
HOW IS THIS CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE DIFFERENT?
When I got older, I would do the same as my mom and save the chicken pot pie time consumption for special occasions. Now I decided to indulge a bit more often. My way of saving on the time is with the beauty of delicious puff pastry. The puff pastry makes this recipe easier to make. The flakiness is undeniable. I know most of
us don’t have time to make it but there are some really great all-butter options in the market that taste absolutely heavenly. When it bakes up golden and delicious on top of the chicken stew, it becomes the most sensational thing you can taste.
WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER
Speaking of that stew, I love to bake the chicken in advance and shred it, however you can once again save your time by using precooked chicken like rotisserie chicken. I call this working or cooking smarter, not harder. Whenever you can save time, money and effort but not skimp on taste, do it! I use a convenient bag of mixed vegetables and add in
onions (and sometimes potatoes) and let it simmer away in a thickened liquid of chicken stock and a bit of heavy cream.
Once everything bakes together, it really is the most comforting meal you can ever make. I dare you to try one this winter season! No special occasion is needed. Do it “just because”.
OTHER GREAT WINTER COMFORT FOOD RECIPES
If you like this chicken pot pie recipe, you’ll love these other winter comfort food recipe below:
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- CREOLE POT PIE
- EASY POTATO SOUP
- SLOW COOKER WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces mixed vegetables
- 3/4 pound shredded chicken seasoned and baked
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat in an oven safe skillet or cast iron skillet, melt butter then add diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until it softens and begins to brown.
- Next stir in flour and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the flour browns and a roux begins.
- Whisk in chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, add in mixed vegetables and shredded chicken.
- Turn heat down to medium low and cook filling until it has thickened, coating the back of a spoon, and the vegetables and chicken are softened and warmed through.
- Turn off heat and top the filling with full box of puff pastry.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with egg wash of egg and water.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling beneath then rest before serving.