This is the Most Delicious Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe online! Shredded rosemary chicken is combined with a heavenly sauce filled with richness and flavor, vegetables galore and an unforgettable flaky pastry topping making the most comforting and delicious homemade chicken pot pie ever! If you adore pure comfort foods like this one, also try my Brown Stew Chicken, Mississippi Pot Roast, Classic Pot Roast, or Beef Stew.
The Perfect Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe!
Nothing comforts me more in the winter than chicken pot pie. I adore it! It is a tiny bit more special than a bowl of soup (chicken noodle soup and tortilla soup to be exact). And it just so happens to take stew to the next level with its flaky buttery crust. This Easy chicken pot pie recipe is one of the only reasons why, other than Christmas, I look forward to the winter.
When I was young, there were special Sundays when my mom would pull out all the stops and make her homemade chicken pot pie recipe. This was considered special because it does take time to create this masterpiece though there are several versions that save time with cream of chicken soups and pre-made crusts.
Why makes this Easy Chicken Pot Pie so Simple to Make? Puff Pastry!
My way of saving on the time on this recipe is with the beauty of delicious puff pastry. No need to make a homemade pastry crust because you can simply use this and create something unforgettable. If you ever have time, and want to make pie pastry, you can use my pie crust recipe but cut the sugar.
I believe in using all butter puff pastry if I can swing it. Both Dufour (at most local grocery stores) and Trader Joe’s have all butter crusts though Trader Joe’s adds some sugar so it can be a little too sweet for some for a savory pie but you can always fall back on Pepperidge Farms in a pinch . When it bakes up golden and delicious on top of the chicken filling, it becomes the most sensational thing you can taste.
For The Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, what Chicken Should You Use?
Speaking of that filling, you have plenty of options for how you begin with the shredded chicken. When I have the time I make this Slow Cooker Chicken that cooks while I am doing other things. I can control all of the flavors that I add, and it is seriously delicious.
To make the recipe even easier, you can pick up a precooked chicken like a rotisserie chicken at your local market and shred it. This saves plenty of time.
I call this working or cooking smarter, not harder. Whenever you can save time, money and effort but not skimp on taste, do it!
For additional ingredients like vegetables, I use a convenient bag of frozen mixed vegetables and add in onions (and sometimes potatoes) and let it simmer away in the sauce. You can really add any vegetables you want since that is the part that makes this extremely adaptable.
Filling Ingredients for Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
The sauce for the filling is truly where the magic for this recipe comes in. This sauce is thick but smooth, rich but nuanced and filled with unbelievable flavor. When coupled with the shredded chicken and vegetables, you have a dish you will never forget!
The few key ingredients that make a true difference in making the best filling for Easy Pot Pie are the following:
- Chicken Stock
- Heavy Cream
The butter is already seasoned in this case which is different from my sweets baking philosophy. The butter adds incredible richness and fat to the sauce.
The aromatic of onion adds wonderful flavor as well. Flour serves as our thickener but the flour taste will be gone by the time the sauce is developed I promise.
For the liquids, I use a combination of chicken stock (if you have your own that’s premade, USE IT!) and heavy cream.
Tip: To lower the calories on this recipe, you can replace the chicken stock with chicken broth.
The heavy cream also helps to thicken the sauce but provides additional creaminess and richness that tastes unbelievable.
Once everything bakes together, it really is the most comforting meal you can ever make. I dare you to try one this winter season! No special occasion is needed. Do it “just because”.
If you love Easy Pot Pie Recipes, you will love these other comfort foods!
If you like this chicken pot pie recipe, you’ll love these other winter comfort food recipe below:
- SLOW COOKER CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
- CREOLE POT PIE
- EASY POTATO SOUP
- SLOW COOKER WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN TORTILLA SOUP
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces mixed vegetables
- 3/4 pound shredded chicken seasoned and baked
- 1 package puff pastry
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat in an oven safe skillet or cast iron skillet, melt butter then add diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until it softens and begins to brown.
- Next stir in flour and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until the flour browns and a roux begins.
- Whisk in chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, add in mixed vegetables and shredded chicken.
- Turn heat down to medium low and cook filling until it has thickened, coating the back of a spoon, and the vegetables and chicken are softened and warmed through.
- Turn off heat and top the filling with full box of puff pastry.
- Brush the top of the puff pastry with egg wash of egg and water.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until puff pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling beneath then rest before serving.