The MOST Refreshing Southern Sweet Tea Recipe
What Is Sweet Tea?
While Sweet Tea is basically served all over the world in various ways, we are going to concentrate on what Southern Sweet Tea is.
Southern Sweet Tea is commonly known as brewed tea that has been sweetened with usually sugar then served ice cold in a refreshing manner.
How To Make Sweet Tea
With more of a detailed idea of how to create sweet tea, you can pretty much follow your gut (and taste buds) through the process to create a rendition that will satisfy your thirst whenever necessary.
So really you only need like 3 (or 4) things to create this homemade sweet tea recipe:
- Tea bags
- If you want to get fancy, lemon.
That’s it. Why folks make this such a big deal is beyond me. And some ice, don’t forget how good iced tea can be.
We personally throw tea bags directly into boiling hot water and allow them to brew releasing the essence of the tea.
Tip: The longer your brew your tea, the stronger it will be. However don’t worry too much because as soon as you add ice, you will dilute the strength somewhat.
For sugar content, this is very subjective. I know folks who love their tea to taste as sweet as candy and then others that like theirs a bit on the bitter side. Again, all subjective so do what makes sense for you.
Tip: The safe way to approach this is by adding half of the sugar, allowing it to dissolve completely and then tasting and deciding how much more to add.
Lemon or mint? That’s more of a new aged thing to some. My big mama certainly would think so but I love adding them to my pitcher because of the additional flavor infused in the tea and how lovely it looks swirly around in my mason jar.
For entertaining you can add them to your pitcher or even add other fruits to make the colors pop! My Peach Sweet Tea is a great recipe to try!
What Tea Brand Should I use for my Homemade Sweet Tea Recipe?
When it is all said and done, making a Southern Sweet Tea Recipe is no sweat, believe me, and it is a very personal thing. Make it your own and enjoy a big glass for me, okay?
Southern Sweet Tea Recipe
- 5 cups water
- 5-6 tea bags depending on how strong you want your tea
- 2/3- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar depending on how sweet you want it
- Optional: lemon and mint
- Add water to a medium sized pot and boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, turn off heat and add tea bags. Steep for 10-25 minutes (depending on strength you prefer).
- Stir in sugar in increments until it completely dissolves into the hot tea.
- Remove tea bags from pot then pour tea into a large pitcher.
- Add enough water to fill the pitcher then add lemon wedges and mint (if you would like for garnish and flavor).
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Add ice to glasses and serve.