Who needs another recipe for coffee cake or a fruit cake? You do! This strawberry crumble coffee cake with a beautifully dense yet light cake base, fresh strawberry layer and final sugar crumb topping is perfect!
Eating coffee cake is such a comforting enjoyment for me. I even have a specific way in which I enjoy my coffee cake. I like to serve it on a lovely vintage floral pattern plate slightly warmed with a cup of tea while I stare out of my window taking in the beauty of the morning. Call me anal but that’s exactly how I love it.
During summer, I love to play around with one of my favorite one layer coffee cakes by adding in seasonal fruit (try a rhubarb coffee cake too!) to perk it up a bit. That’s where this glorious Strawberry Crumble Coffee Cake comes in.
The base of this cake is one of my favorites. It has such a tender and buttery texture with a clean comforting taste that is out of this world. This cake layer is so darn good that it could really stand on its own with no assistance whatsoever. I could live off this cake.
But I, of course, jazzed it up with fresh sliced strawberries and a beautifully comforting sugar and butter crumble with hints of cinnamon. It is truly delicious. I love this Strawberry Crumble Coffee Cake warm or even served at room temperature because all of the flavors really meld together in the most sensational way. I also love this as a rhubarb cake too when that’s in season.
I hope all morning start with a slice of this and an ounce of peaceful comfort. This will be your favorite recipe for coffee cake.
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries sliced
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted then cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and liberally spray 8x8 sized pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), beat together butter and sugar on high speed for 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and continue to mix until combined.
- Change mixer to low speed and slowly add in flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until just combined then pour in sour cream and vanilla extract and mix until it all just comes together without over mixing. Turn off mixer.
- Evenly spread cake batter in pan then top with sliced strawberries.
- Whisk together flour, both sugars, salt, and cinnamon until mixed.
- Drizzle butter over flour mixture and using a fork, stir together until crumbs form.
- Sprinkle crumbs over strawberries.
- Bake cake for 30-38 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 20 minutes then serve.