This Sweet Potato Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe starts with a perfectly tender and moist sweet potato cake batter that’s highlighted by a ribbon of cinnamon swirl and topped with an addictive maple glaze. Serve this for all of your fall Entertaining. If you adore more amazing fall cakes or sweet potato flavor, make sure you add my Sweet Potato Pie, Caramel Cake, Apple Cake and Sweet Potato Cheesecake!
Disclosure: I partnered with KitchenAid for this recipe post, but all opinions expressed here are my own. I am grateful for authentic partnerships like this.
Delicious Sweet Potato Coffee Cake Recipe with Cinnamon Swirl!
Let’s talk coffee cake. You might know it as that buttery, soft, and sweet cake with its quintessential ribbon of cinnamon and crumbly streusel hidden in the center. And of course, we can’t forget the light drizzle of glaze on top.
Coffee Cake can come in all shapes, sizes and varying flavors: caramel apple, blueberry and brown sugar pecan. Each variation can be unique while still adhering to the same delicious flavor profiles we know and love. I’ve never met a coffee cake that I didn’t love.
Each bite is slightly crisp, wonderfully pillowy and melts in your mouth. You’ll find yourself digging your fork in again and again because its just that addictive. As the holiday season approaches, I’m looking to challenge and reinvent my favorite recipes, including classic coffee cake. Hence this recipe being born: this Sweet Potato Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe topped off with a Maple Glaze. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with a classic coffee cake but sometimes you just gotta mix it up.
What is Coffee Cake?
Have you ever wondered where the coffee cake came from? Like most foods, coffee cake is an item that evolved over hundreds of years and across continents. People have been preparing honey cakes since biblical times. For some reason, the Dutch and Germans in New York, New Jersey and Delaware became particularly famous for their coffee cakes. Their recipes from the colonial times are very similar to those used today. By 1879, coffee cakes were well-known in America and there were already countless recipes for crumb cakes, streusel cakes and streusel/crumb-cake combinations.
Now I don’t know about you but I suddenly have this urge to get me some coffee cake. So let’s get crackin y’all.
HOW TO BAKE THE BEST SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE RECIPE
Baking success is reliant on dependable tools, and that’s why I always begin each recipe with my Kitchenaid stand mixer. I use it for cookies, breads, sauces, frostings and dough. I find myself constantly looking for recipes that allow me to use my stand mixer to reduce prep time.
Baking is also dependent on accuracy, and the new Sifter+Scale Attachment is a must-have in that respect. An all-in-one baking tool, the Sifter+Scale Attachment precisely measures ingredients by weight rather than volume, which, in case you didn’t know, can make a HUGE difference in how your recipe turns out. You can even detach it and use it separately whenever you would like.
The attachment also thoroughly sifts dry ingredients directly into your mixer bowl–and we are talking large amounts of ingredients, too! Up to four cups, so you can handle some hefty cake batters. The serious hands-free sifting allows you to multitask like no other and is my favorite feature of this attachment.
I love the texture of cake batters that include sifted flour but I absolutely HATE sifting by hand, so I adored using this attachment. It quickly and easily achieves consistent, light and airy results. Need I say more?
INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO CAKE WITH CINNAMON SWIRL
At the base of this recipe is my sweet potato cake: a tender, moist and buttery cake that is naturally sweetened by the mashed sweet potatoes.
The potatoes also add a delightful earthiness that balances out this sweet treat. Not to mention that they add a beautiful coloration to the cake similar to the changing foliage in the fall.
Additional important ingredients for this cake are:
- Spices and Extracts
- Sour Cream
The butter for this recipe is unsalted. I always select unsalted for baking because it is fresher and gives you the control over how much salt you add into your recipe. It must also be room temperature.
Granulated sugar is used for creaming this recipe along with salt. Never forget your salt since it is crucial for balancing flavors in cakes.
Eggs provide stability so they are totally necessary.
I used all purpose flour here instead of cake flour because I wanted this coffee cake to be a bit more stable and hefty. Don’t worry! It is still incredibly moist and since it is sifted, it is still lightened.
Leavening in the form of baking powder provides a wonderful lift. I wanted to also add amazing flavor to the sweet potato so nutmeg and cinnamon were delicious selections. Vanilla extract helped to balance it all out.
Finally Sour Cream coffee cakes are absolutely delicious and have incredible moistness so I added it here!
HOW TO MAKE CINNAMON SWIRL RECIPE FOR SWEET POTATO CAKE
Next, we have that buttery, sweet and spiced cinnamon ribbon center. Not only does it add incredible flavor, it also adds a textural and aesthetic element.
It’s comparable to the delectable goodness inside a cinnamon bun: warm, sugary and perfectly spiced. The contrast in color to the cake batter is also stunning.
Lastly, this cake needed the perfect “cherry on top” if you will. A maple glaze was perfect! The slightly caramelized flavor of this maple glaze really brought all of the elements together. The unique sweetness and pop of flavor brightens up the cake and delivers an amazing depth. Its amber color contrast with the dark brown cinnamon streusel creates a piece of artwork.
At the end of it all, you are left with the perfect sweet potato coffee cake recipe for fall; wonderfully familiar and bursting with vibrant holiday flavors. Now comes the worst part, clean up. Luckily, the new Sifter+Scale Attachment is easy to clean; all parts are dishwasher safe except for the scale and sifter housing. Once clean, you can easily keep all the parts in one place by utilizing the convenient storage case included with the attachment.
From start to finish this recipe is made simple, fun and delicious by my new KitchenAid Sifter+Scale Attachment. Enjoy this recipe with coffee or bring it to a family member’s home for the holidays. I promise each slice will be gone before you know it.
To Pin This Sweet Potato Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe, Click BELOW
If you love fall baking recipes like this Sweet Potato Coffee Cake recipe, check out these other amazing recipes:
- This Spiced Cider Apple Cake is seriously insane! Moist and perfect for fall!
- This Caramel Apple Cheesecake recipe is utter perfection!
- One bite of this Caramel Pumpkin Lava Cake and you will melt!
- And of course I love a good pound cake, and this Pumpkin Pound Cake recipe is undeniably the best you will taste!
Sweet Potato Coffee Cake Recipe
- Stand mixer
For the Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sour cream room temperature
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Swirl
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Maple Glaze
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp milk
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your 10-cup bundt pan with shortening and flour or non-stick baking spray.
- In your KitchenAid mixer bowl, cream together butter, sugar and salt on high speed until light and fluffy for 5 minutes.
- Next add in eggs, one at a time, and mix until well-incorporated.
- Make sure the Sifter + Scale is attached to the mixer, then slow mixer to lowest speed and carefully add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg through the attachment.
- Finally add in sour cream, sweet potato and extract and beat until just combined.
For the Cinnamon Swirl
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized bowl and whisk together and until smooth.
To Assemble Cake
- Pour half of cake batter into prepared bundt pan then pour cinnamon swirl mixture over the top and swirl through batter.
- Pour remaining cake batter on top of swirl then bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist but mostly clean.
- Cool cake for 10 minutes then invert cake onto cooling rack and cool until room temperature.
For the Glaze
- Once cake is completely cooled, whisk together confectioner's sugar, maple syrup and milk. Add more milk or syrup if needed. Glaze should be pourable but not too thin.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and serve.