Forget the hard work of apple pie this Fall!! These whole Baked Apples topped with a crumb topping give this simple dessert all of the rich and spicy flavors of fall without the effort of working with pie crust!! Serve these baked apples up throughout the fall for a dessert that will have everyone coming back for seconds!
Baked Apples – honestly, if you haven’t tried these yet, you’re in for a treat. Imagine biting into a warm, soft apple filled with the melt-in-your-mouth goodness of buttery brown sugar and topped with that nostalgic crumble we all love. It’s like a hug in dessert form! I’ve always had a soft spot for apple-based desserts, and these baked apples? They’re right at the top of the list.
As the Fall arrives each year, I find my mind begins to fill with thoughts of pumpkins, beautiful foliage, crisp weather, and, of course, apple pie. But, I don’t always feel like fussin’ with a crust, so I make these super simple baked apples! I love that you can just core them and stuff them with a crispy, crumb topping and still feel just as satisfied!
Why You’ll Love These Old-Fashioned Baked Apples
- Quick apple dessert recipe. All you need to do is core the apples and add the apple crumble on top.
- Dessert showstopper. Baked whole apples look spectacular when served up, especially when you add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Great flavor and texture. Baking the apples softens them perfectly while the crumble adds a lovely texture and sweetness you experience in each bite.
Ingredients to Make Baked Apples with Crumb Topping
Whether you love apple crumbles or apple crisps, they all start with the most delicious and irresistible topping filled with various textures, spices, and sweetness, which we are duplicating in this baked apple recipe. You will need a few key ingredients:
- All-purpose flour: It has a sturdy texture and works well here.
- Sugar: This recipe uses a combination of both brown sugar and granulated sugar. The brown sugar adds a nice difference in flavor with the molasses.
- Salt: Remember to always add salt to any dessert you are baking. It is crucial for balancing texture and sweetness.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon is always the preferred spice complement for apples. It warms the flavor and adds a nice kick of deliciousness.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is the essential ingredient that combines the crumb topping and adds flavor. I prefer melted butter to keep the effort for this recipe at a minimum.
- Apples: I suggest using any apple you like, but Granny Apples, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, and Gala all work well.
How to Make Baked Apples with Crumb Topping
These apples go together in just a couple of simple steps! Here is a look at them, along with photos. Be sure to check the recipe card for the full details.
Making the Crumble Topping
- Whisk together the flour, both types of sugar, salt, and ground cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Slowly pour in the butter and whisk until crumbs start to form.
Prepare the Apples
- Core the apples from the top part of the apple using a small knife but add a small amount of core to the bottom of the apples and peel an inch off the top of the apple.
- Fill each apple with butter and brown sugar halfway up the apple.
- Fill the remaining half with the crumble topping and pat it down on the top.
- Wrap the apples in foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Watch carefully for another 5 minutes to make sure the apples are still stable and intact.
Cooling the Apples
- Remove the baked apples from the oven and allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Tips for Making the Best Baked Apples in Oven
- Make sure to wrap your apples tightly with foil to ensure that the contents do not spill out everywhere.
- Allow your apples to cool slightly when they come out of the oven. This will also allow the apple to firm back up a bit since the baking softens its texture quite a bit.
- Choose the right apples! Be sure to choose an apple that’s not overly sweet and will hold up when baked.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Want more complex flavors? Try some apple pie spice blend with cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and a variety of other flavors if you want to truly spice things up. Pumpkin pie spice also works!
- Add nuts to the crumble mixture. Chop up some pecans or walnuts and mix it into the crumble mixture just before stuffing the apples.
- Add a bit of dried fruit. Raisins, cranberries, and cherries are just a few that work great with apples.
- Add some cayenne for a bit of spice!
What to Serve with Baked Cinnamon Apples
- A classic addition! Top your baked cinnamon apples with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- Drizzle with a bit of caramel sauce for more buttery, richness.
- For apple overload, enjoy it with a hot apple cider or apple cider float.
- Sip on a hot buttered rum or fig mojito!
How to Store & Reheat
Baked apples are enjoyed best when freshly made. They will likely soften more when reheated losing much of the texture. You can still pack them up in an airtight container and store in the fridge to reheat later on. They will still taste great but may lose some shape.
Reheat them in a baking dish in a 350° F oven for about 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
How long will baked apples with crumb topping last in the fridge?
When properly stored, they will last up to four days.
Can I freeze cinnamon-baked apples?
No, I would not freeze this recipe. The freezer is not kind to apples as it is, and you’re likely to end up with a pile of mush once defrosted. Although, it might make a good applesauce!
Frequently Asked Questions
Certain apples bake better than others and when choosing apples for roasting you want to consider flesh and flavor. Flesh is most important and the apples you use must be sturdy enough to not break down during the roasting process. Since they cook in the oven using high heat the stability of the apple is key.
Flavor is important too and I love roasting apples that have a complexity of different flavors. A mix of tart and sweet works best. You don’t want apples that are overpoweringly sweet because the crumble topping also adds some sweetness.
Apples that work well for baking include Granny Apples, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious and Gala. Try a bunch and see which ones you enjoy the most!
Absolutely not! In this recipe, you definitely want to leave the peel on the apples as it helps hold the apple together as it cooks. Much of the nutrients and flavor are in the peel and in this preparation can be eaten or not!
Baked apples with crumb topping are THE fall dessert you want to have in your recipe box! They’re easy to make using simple ingredients! Even better, they are an elegant yet satisfying dessert that works great for family dinners, but you can also serve to company.
Try them out today and enjoy the sweet cinnamon apple flavor in each bite.
More Apple Recipes
- Spiced Cider Apple Cake
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake
- Apple Fritters
- Butterscotch Apple Bars
- Apple Tarte Tatin
- Apple Pie Bars
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
Baked Apples with Crumb Topping
For the Crumble Topping
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted then cooled
For the Apples
- 4 apples cored and peeled just at the very tops
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
For the Crumble
- Whisk together flour, both sugars, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Slowly pour in butter and whisk until crumbs develop then set aside.
For the Apples
- Start by coring the apples from the top with a small knife but add a small amount of core to the bottom of the apples.
- Peel an inch off the tops of the apples.
- Evenly divide and fill each apple with butter and brown sugar halfway then completely fill with crumble and pat on the top.
- Wrap apples in foil and bake for 25-30 minutes then watch carefully for another 5 minutes to make sure apples are still stable and intact. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes then serve.