WHY MAKE APPLE FRITTERS?
WHAT MAKES THIS APPLE FRITTER RECIPE SO GREAT
HOW TO MAKE APPLE FRITTERS
To make these, you simply combine wet and dry ingredients. The dry ingredients are similar to those in a cake recipe. Flour, sugar and leavening along with a few spices that always help apples shine (like cinnamon and nutmeg) make up the dry ingredients. The wet ingredients include eggs, melted butter and vanilla which gives great flavor and apple cider, which is my favorite wet ingredient in this bunch. It really helps amp up the wonderful apple flavor in each and every bite.
These are fried fritters so you get such a wonderful crunchy exterior with a tender doughy inside. The two textures are wonderful together. If you love fried doughnuts, you will love these. You will need to make sure your oil temperature is between 325 and 350 degrees, until they are fried to deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Lastly there is a wonderful and super easy glaze that is amazing on these fritters. You can whip it up and then spoon it over the fresh fried fritters at the end. It sets and becomes just wonderful.
- This Spiced Cider Apple Cake recipe is a fall favorite. Seriously Apple cider has never tasted so good!
- This Caramel Apple Cheesecake recipe is seriously unbelievably addictive! It is a fall baking must!
- Simple baking can’t get any easier than these Baked Crumble Apples!
- Butterscotch and apples are a match made in heaven in these Butterscotch Apple Bars!
MORE GREAT FRIED DOUGH RECIPES
If you love apple fritters, you’ll really get a kick out of my peach fritters! Also, if you love fried dough, you’ll fall in love with all my funnel cake recipes (classic, red velvet, strawberry shortcake and swirled vanilla chocolate).
Apple Fritters Recipe
For the Fritters
- 2 granny apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Add all dry ingredients (flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg) in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Stir in apples.
- Next add wet ingredients (cider, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract) to a separate bowl and whisk together then pour mixture into dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Heat 3 cups of vegetable oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat to about 350 degrees. Use 1/3-cup measure to transfer 5 heaping portions of batter into the hot oil. Press batter lightly with the back of spoon to flatten somewhat. Fry until golden brown (about 2 to 3 minutes each side). Once all fritters are fried, remove fritters and transfer fritters to wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet or to a paper towel to dry. Bring oil back to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining batter. Let fritters cool 5 minutes.
- Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, cider, cinnamon, and nutmeg in medium bowl until smooth. Spoon over fritters and let set for 10 minutes then serve.