This Chai Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Recipe creates delightful, perfectly chewy snickerdoodles flavored with the nuttiness of brown butter like these Blondies and spice of chai and cinnamon. They are irresistible! If you love perfectly chewy cookies like these, definitely try my Southern Tea Cakes, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies and Key Lime Pie Cookies!
Perfect Chai Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Recipe!!
I have the best cookies for you today: Chai Browned Butter Snickerdoodles! I love cookies! Whether it’s a homemade batch, a Mrs. Field’s one at the mall or an Oreo, they all have some fond childhood nostalgia tied to them. Growing up, any homemade cookies in my house were butter cookies or sugar cookies. For my mom, they were tea cakes my big mama baked. In fact, all of the recipes are variations of the same cookie, much like the snickerdoodle.
Recently, I asked my mom if she even knew what a snickerdoodle was. She had no clue.
What Is A Snickerdoodle?
I told her a snickerdoodle is basically a sophisticated sugar cookie with a funkier name. The dough is much like that of soft chewy butter cookies but it is rolled in a lovely combination of white sugar and cinnamon. The cinnamon addition and rolling technique is what makes this different from a traditional sugar cookie.
I never baked snickerdoodles before now but my husband recently demanded a batch (well not really, he politely asked) and I kindly obliged.
This chai browned butter snickerdoodle recipe is simply delightful! The browned butter, which I think I am in love with and will have to incorporate into every single recipe I make from now on, is perfection. The chai adds a lovely flavor to this cookie. It’s like a teenage babysitter, slightly more mature but can still bring out the kid in us.
How To Make Snickerdoodles
Next you will combine dry ingredients including the chai spice which gives these cookies such a unique flavor! Then you combine with the wet ingredients including the brown butter.
Tip 2: Make sure you chill cookie dough!
Place the final dough in the refrigerator to cool for about 30 minutes until firm but still easily workable. This will make sure that they don’t spread as much when baked so you have thick chewy cookies.
Lastly you will create the sugar mixture by combining chai spice, cinnamon and sugar to roll your cookie dough balls in. This is so delicious!!!
Bake for 10-12 minutes until baked through but still chewy and serve. I love them warm! These are also perfect cooled down. It makes it easier to serve and also to package for giving out!
If You Love This Snickerdoodle Recipe
If you love recipes with amazing brown butter flavor, make sure you also check out these:
- Brown Butter Honey Cornbread
- Brown Butter Butternut Squash Ravioli
- Maple Brown Butter Chess Pie
- Brown Butter Pasta
- Brown Butter Maple Bacon Popcorn
- Kentucky Butter Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
- Pumpkin Cake with Brown Butter Glaze
- Apple Cider Cake with Brown Butter Buttercream
Chai Brown Butter Snickerdoodles
For the cookies:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chai spice I used the spice from The Spice House or you can make your own here
For the rolling mixture:
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chai spice
For the Browned Butter:
- Melt butter over medium low heat in a small saucepan. Continue to cook butter and allow it to slowly brown until it turns a dark golden color with specs throughout.
- Turn of heat and allow it to cool completely.
For the Cookie Dough:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Next add cooled butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla to a medium sized bowl and whisk ingredients together.
- Next whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and chai spice into the wet mixture until smooth. Place the final dough in the refrigerator to cool for about 30 minutes until firm but still easily workable.
- Whisk together cinnamon chai spice and sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough into small balls then dip them in the sugar mixture and place on a baking sheet, each an inch apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until baked through but still chewy and serve. I love them warm!