You will love these Key Lime Pie Cookie Cups! Enjoy the best and easiest Key Lime Pie mini in size but major in taste!
Classic key lime pie is a favorite of mine but I think it might have some stiff competition with these key lime pie cookie cups. These are seriously the most adorable key lime pie version I have ever seen. So glad I invented them (hehe).
It all started last week with my winter depression. I was feeling kinda down. I think it has to do with the insanely terrible weather Chicago has been getting. It has been cold and snowy then cold and snowy again! I can’t keep up. I thought that March would be the month where we Chicagoans would see the change in the weather. I was hoping for just a small glimpse into Spring. Maybe just a sunny day with decent weather where I could leave my condo to take a quick stroll. But nope, Chicago isn’t having any of that! Not one bit. Instead I was greeted with snow four inches high and freezing temperatures (the usual).
Instead of continuing to mope around tired of the weather, I decided to bring a little spring inside. I adore anything citrus and have a real adoration for key lime pie. I get it from my daddy. You may already know this as I have featured key lime recipes a few times on my blog. The graham cracker crust, and the tartness and sweetness of the lime curd coupled with whipped cream is perfection. However this time I didn’t have any graham crackers and almost thought my key lime dreams were dashed until I saw my refrigerated sugar cookie dough tucked neatly in my refrigerator. That sugar cookie dough is making its rounds in my recipes lately because it is pre-made deliciousness that lends itself to my zany ideas perfectly. Well I must say that I am glad graham crackers were missing because I may never use them again after this rendition.
These cute cups are the perfect vehicle for key lime curd and a dollop of fresh whipped cream. And the best part is I can pop a few of these and be totally satisfied. These Key Lime Pie Cookie Cups would be so adorable at a party on a dessert buffet table. Now my wheels are turning even more. The best part was I finally got my glimpse of Spring.
If you want some more key lime fun, try my Key Lime Pie Ice Cream with Mango Swirl HERE:
Key Lime Pie Cookie Cups
- 1 package Pillsbury Ready to Bake! Sugar Cookie Dough
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and lime zest for garnish
For the cookie cups:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 24 mini muffin pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Roll each separate cookie into a ball and place in the bottom of each muffin tin.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and gently press a spoon in the center of each baked cookie to make the shape of the cup.
- After 10 minutes, gently remove cookie cups from the muffin pan and place on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
For the key lime filling:
- Whisk together egg yolks, key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, and pure vanilla extract.
- Pour into a medium sized pot and saute over medium to low heat to cook through the eggs.
- Keep on heat and stir for 12-14 minutes until nice and warm. Remove and allow to cool.
- Fill a ziploc bag with snipped side or piping bag with key lime curd mixture.
- Pipe key lime curd into direct centers of each cookie cup until filled.
- Next garnish with whipped cream and lime zest and refrigerate for at least one hour and serve.