Ran out of brown sugar and need it for a recipe? Learn how to make your own with just TWO ingredients.
Brown sugar is one of my favorite baking ingredients. I love that additional flavor profile it gives to anything I make. I have made recipes that are totally devoted to it like my famous Brown Sugar Pound Cake, that makes everyone a happy camper!!
I’ve also found myself in a place where I want to make a recipe and suddenly have none around! So what does a person do? Make your own!
What is Brown Sugar?
According to Wikipedia, brown sugar is a sucrose sugar product that gets its additional flavor and color from molasses. It also softens and moistens the sugar product as well. When you go to the grocery store, you will likely find both Dark Brown Sugar and Light Brown Sugar.
These vary due to the amounts of molasses added.
How To Make Brown Sugar
In order to make some right in your home kitchen, you just granulated sugar and molasses! That’s it!
- If you want to make it light, combine 1 cup of granulated sugar with 1 teaspoon of molasses.
- If you want to make it dark, use 2 teaspoons of molasses!
Simply combine the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed or even add to a food processor to combine quickly!
How to Store
You should store your sugar in a tight container. It should last for up to 3 months.
Recipes that Use Brown Sugar
Now that you have this at your disposal, make these recipes that truly let that ingredient shine!
- Brown Sugar Mississippi Pot Roast
- Brown Sugar Peach Shortcakes
- Brown Sugar Turkey Bacon
- Balsamic Brown Sugar Lamb Chops
- Brown Sugar Pound Cake
My Favorite Tutorials to Check Out
- How to Saute onions
- Homemade Cake Release
- Converting Cake to Cupcakes
- Powdered Sugar
- Baking Substitutions
- Egg Substitution List
Brown Sugar Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp molasses or 2 if you want dark brown sugar
- Simply combine the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed or even add to a food processor to combine quickly!
- You should store your sugar in a tight container. It should last for up to 3 months.