Disclosure: I partnered with Land O’Lakes for this Spanish Chicken and Rice recipe post, but all opinions expressed here are my own.
The Perfect Weeknight Dinner: Spanish Chicken and Rice Recipe
Well, hello beautiful Fall! I surely am enjoying you and all that you have to offer. I appreciate your brisk days, golden and reddish leaves, and comforting nights spent in the kitchen making food that nourishes my soul.
I love the warmth I experience when my stove and oven are both warming my home by cooking the best recipes for my family. While I may cut corners during the week since it can be so busy, I really try to make a beautiful meal on the weekends that takes a bit more time and feels full of flavor. This Spanish Chicken and Rice recipe definitely falls in that category.
What Is Spanish Chicken and Rice?
The flavors of this Spanish Chicken and Rice recipe are magical; both intense and subtle at the same time. It is an easy way to use one pot to make a weeknight meal as well. This is real comfort food, the kind that makes you want to lay down for a nap after you indulge in your second (or third or fourth- not judging) helping with a big smile on your face.
Spices like cumin, adobo and paprika are paired with chicken and steeped in a delicious flavorful rice that is deep in red color and made so delicious with tomatoes, chicken stock, chorizo, lime juice and peas. The rice is very similar to Jollof Rice or even Savannah Red Rice or Paella in terms of flavor. Each bite of this dish is filled with so much flavor. And it doesn’t take too long to come together.
How To Make Spanish Chicken and Rice Recipe
The ingredients build and build upon each other making the ultimate chicken supper, and it all starts with Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. This spreadable, perfectly seasoned blend of butter and canola oil is the foundation for everything that comes after.
For this Spanish Chicken and Rice, I start by browning the chicken to perfection in it. For recipes like these that end up in the oven to finish, I personally prefer using dark meat like chicken thighs because I know that they won’t dry out during that roasting process. They stay incredibly moist and flavorful.
Next onion, peppers, and chorizo get thrown in the mix creating the perfect flavor profile for the brown rice, which gets steamed in chicken stock and tomatoes. The butter with canola oil offers so much flavor to the Spanish Chicken and Rice that you start your flavor building early in the cooking game. The essence these ingredients create is fantastic! They are the base of creating the rice that truly makes this dish remarkable. The flavors of the rice are very similar in nature to those of a Jollof Rice.
Tip: In this recipe I use brown rice which is why it takes much longer to cook. However you can cut the baking time by using white rice instead.
What to Serve Spanish Chicken and Rice with
This Spanish Chicken is not only delicious; it is a hearty meal filled with all the ingredients that make you feel right at home. I must say that I have already made this recipe twice this fall and plan on making it a regular occurrence in my recipe arsenal. I can’t imagine a more perfect chicken one pot meal than this one.
You can serve this incredible meal with the following:
Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 chicken legs or 6 chicken thighs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil
- 1 ½ cups diced onion, green and red peppers
- ½ tube of loose chorizo sausage in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can
- 15 ounces pigeon peas, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Start by preheating your oven to 380 degrees.
- Add ground cumin, adobo seasoning, chili powder and paprika to a small bowl and whisk together until combined then set aside.
- Pat chicken dry on all sides with a paper towel then season chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste on both sides. Sprinkle about a ⅓ of the seasonings on chicken on both sides and set the rest to the side.
- Add butter with canola oil to Dutch oven over medium high heat. Once it’s melted, brown chicken on both sides until a golden brown color develops then remove chicken from Dutch oven and set aside.
- Next add onion, peppers and chorizo to Dutch oven and cook until they are tender and sausage is nice and browned.
- Add tomato paste and mix in well.
- Next stir in rice along with chicken stock, lime juice, diced tomatoes, pigeon peas, garlic powder and remaining spice mix and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to medium low heat and cover lid for 30 minutes.
- Next remove lid and add chicken to the Dutch oven and place in the oven and cook for another 40-50 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked through and the rice has absorbed liquid and is nice and soft. Cool for 10 minutes then top with cilantro and serve.