A decadent and perfectly spiced sweet potato ice cream stuffed with toasted marshmallows; the perfect fall (or anytime) dessert.
I find the sweet potato endearing in every possible form especially in this sweet potato ice cream with toasted marshmallows.
If you have been following along the last few weeks, I think you have realized just how much allegiance I have to this beauty. I realize I am going to have to stop knocking you over the head with my love of sweet potatoes but I figured one (or possibly two) more recipes featuring my delicious friend wouldn’t hurt a bit.
So it all started this past May in Miami at Blogher Food when my pal Julianne told me about this delicious sweet potato ice cream with torched marshmallows she had at Swine Southern Table and Bar Restaurant. It has been haunting me every since. It continued and became a fixation a couple of weeks ago when I went to Nashville and stopped by Jeni’s Ice Cream, and they had a rendition of this ice cream on the menu (which I ordered and adored).
I just had to make my own recipe for this sweet potato ice cream, which is changing lives around the country, namely mine. So I will start by saying that this might be one of the very best ice cream recipes I have ever created. It is seriously addictive in every sense of the word. It will become all you think about whether you are at work, sleeping or even showering. It will consume your mind so be warned.
The texture is creamy and smooth like I love my ice creams to be but then there is this perfect spiced flavor which the ground cinnamon gives, and it truly compliments the sweet potato. Lastly I toasted mini marshmallows and added them to the ice cream bit by bit. As you bite into the treat, make sure you get some of that soft and gooey marshmallow with your ice cream. You won’t forget that taste for a very very long time. Make this for Thanksgiving and turn your dessert table upside down. I guarantee your family will feel very thankful after eating it!
Want more Sweet Potato Recipes?
Check out these Sweet Potato Cupcakes
or these Sweet Potato Biscuits
or this Sweet Potato Pound Cake
or even this Sweet Potato Pie Tiramisu
Sweet Potato Ice Cream with Toasted Marshmallows
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2-3/4 cups granulated sugar check the sweetness of your sweet potatoes and adjust sugar accordingly
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sweet potato roasted or microwaved then mashed
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows toasted under broiler in oven (place on parchment paper and separate, toast only a few minutes before ice cream is done churning)
- Whisk eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add both sugars, mashed sweet potato, vanilla extract and cinnamon to the bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a medium pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk together to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn't scramble.
- Pour the entire mixture into a blender and blend until sweet potato is smooth.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Add mixture to your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once ice cream is done churning, alternate adding ice cream and toasted marshmallows to freezer safe container.
- Freeze for at least 3-4 hours then serve. Store in freezer when not serving. Best eaten within 3-4 days of making.