Mocha Fudge Swirl Ice Cream – creamy homemade ice cream with the wonderful combination of mocha and fudge.
This mocha fudge swirl ice cream might come as a surprise considering I’m not a coffee fan. Not sure why I’m missing the coffee lover gene since both my mom and aunt drink it like water. I just never really took to it for some reason.
I have tried it black. Then, I loaded it with cream and sugar, which makes it taste way better, but still good enough for me to drink on the regular. I have even tried it cold and flavored which I think I may like even better but the point is I don’t “need” it at all.
So why a mocha flavored ice cream? Well a few years ago I was looking for a dairy free ice cream and found a mocha fudge swirl one made with soy that I tried just because I like chocolate. I figured why not?
Well I seriously became addicted to it. I’m not sure what it is about chocolate and coffee in ice cream but it completely works in my opinion. I just adore it. I wanted to duplicate that flavor in an ice cream that can be made at home but this one is the full fat version that is perfect for ice cream lovers everywhere. The custard is perfectly creamy, smooth and delicious with flavor of both cocoa powder and instant coffee powder. Then I decided to swirl a quick homemade fudge sauce through the ice cream along with some crushed oreos. This ice cream is bananas!
In fact, it is so good that I am rethinking this “I hate coffee” position I seem to have. This made me a believer.
If you like this ice cream recipe, then you might be interested in some of my other homemade ice cream recipes.
Mocha Chocolate Cookie Swirl Ice Cream
For the Ice Cream:
- 3 large large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 crushed cookies and cream
- Whisk eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add sugar, cocoa powder, and instant coffee to the bowl and whisk together.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a large pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add three tablespoons of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk together to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn't scramble.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and stir in vanilla extract.
For the Chocolate Sauce:
- Add sugar and cocoa powder to a small saucer then whisk in corn syrup and milk and heat over medium heat.
- Once everything comes to a boil, reduce heat to low to simmer.
- Add butter and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth then set aside to completely cool.
- Add your mixture to an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions and freeze until it gets to soft serve stage.
- Alternate layering ice cream, chocolate sauce and crumbled cookies to freezer safe container until all ingredients are gone and freeze.