Best Chocolate Cake Recipe with Blackberry Buttercream – A rich, decadent and moist chocolate cake recipe frosted in a luscious blackberry buttercream. The combination is perfection! If you love the blackberry flavor in this Southern Blackberry Cobbler you will adore this recipe! And for more chocolate flavor, try this delicious Devil’s Food Cake, German Chocolate Cake or Chocolate Bundt Cake! Or if you want a fun birthday cake, try this funfetti cake.
Two years ago, I met Thee Martha Stewart when I was included in the All-Star Chef line-up for the Today Show’s Thanksgiving episode. We took a selfie and even did a couple of fun teases together before the show began. A year later, I baked alongside her in a chocolate segment on the Today Show. It felt like a dream. It was a full circle moment to actually work with someone that you admire so much. I will never forget the experience.
Martha Stewart is such a class act. Her trustworthy recipes have stood the test of time. They are impeccable and worthy of using time and time again. When thinking about what recipe I could develop that was inspired by Martha, I knew a classic chocolate layer cake with a twist would be spot on.
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
In the baking world, there’s a constant unspoken quest to find the perfect chocolate cake recipe. You could spend months on end testing recipes of all different kinds featuring every ingredient under the sun. Should you use cocoa powder or baking chocolate? Buttermilk or sour cream? Granulated sugar or brown sugar or both? The questions are endless, however one thing we can agree on is taste. With every bite the chocolate should be smooth, melt in your mouth, heavenly bliss. I’m drooling at the thought of it.
CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE RECIPE WITH A TWIST
As much as I love a traditional rich chocolate layer cake, I also love to take a classic and remix it. The easiest way to change up any cake recipe is to introduce a fresh, acidic fruit to balance out the sweetness of your cake. With that being said, my current favorite chocolate cake recipe is my Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake with Blackberry Buttercream.
Juicy blackberries and rich chocolate combine in this indulgent cake. I loved the finish of the luscious blackberry buttercream frosting and fresh berries. It’s a rustic cake simple enough for everyday baking with flavors unusual enough to feel delightful for special occasions. The buttercream also creates a sophisticated and delicate color contrast against the rich chocolate.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CAKE
If you’ve ever felt intimidated when it comes to baking cakes from scratch, I promise that it’s not too hard. Sure it takes a little extra time, but the feeling of baking something homemade is worth it. It’s crucial to begin your baking with reliable ingredients that help create the best end result. In this case, my recipe begins with fresh eggs and sugar, and sugar.
MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
From there you build the flavor of your cake by adding instant coffee to intensify the chocolate flavor and buttermilk to create moisture while adding a subtle tang. When all is said and done, you’re left with the perfect chocolate cake: moist and flavorful with the perfect crumb. Those ingredients are the key to a moist chocolate cake recipe.
Now, we add the essential final touch: blackberry buttercream. I’ve combined blackberries in this red velvet cake recipe and these limeade cupcakes, and adore it! The berries add a slightly tart flavor with earthy undertones that compliment the richness of the chocolate. The color of blackberries creates a beautiful magenta hue that contrasts the darkness of the cake.
They are an incredible marriage of flavor, texture and aesthetic. Each bite is wonderfully balanced and leaves you feeling both satisfied and refreshed. Garnishing with fresh blackberries and lovely edible flowers makes this cake perfect for entertaining.
CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES
If you are looking for other incredible chocolate cakes, check out these recipes:
- Try my Ultimate Chocolate Pound Cake recipe. It is decadent and insanely delicious.
- Want chocolate cake in cupcake form? These Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes are amazing!
- This Chocolate Birthday Cake is addictive!
- Love berries and chocolate like this recipe? Try my Raspberry Chocolate Cake!
Decadent Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe with Blackberry Buttercream
For the Cake
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups Domino® granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Domino® light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
For the Buttercream
- 7 cups Domino® confectioner's powdered sugar
- 2 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 tbsp blackberry puree Note: add 1 cup of blackberries to a heavy duty blender or food processor to puree then sieve to remove seeds
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Blackberries and edible flowers for garnish
For the Cake
- Begin by preheating oven to 350 degrees then liberally spray 3 (9-inch) round pans with non-stick baking spray.
- In your mixer bowl, add eggs and both sugars and beat on high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- While mixture beats, combine cocoa powder, instant coffee powder and salt in hot water. Add liquid to eggs and sugar.
- Next slow down mixer to low speed and add flour, baking soda, and baking powder then add vegetable oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract to the mixer and beat until just combined. Batter will be somewhat thin but this is normal.
- Evenly pour cake batter into all three pans and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out moist but mostly clean.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before removing from pans and cooling on a wire rack.
For the Buttercream
- Clean your stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment. Add the confectioners' sugar and butter and mix on low speed, increasing the speed to medium-high once the sugar is fully incorporated. Continue to mix until light and fluffy.
- Add the blackberry puree, vanilla extract, and salt and beat until the mixture is puree is fully incorporated.
- Once cake layers have cooled completely, frost cake with buttercream.
- Garnish with blackberries and edible flowers and serve.
John Brown says
For Valentines Day I made the Chocolate Cake with Blackberry Buttercream , WOW ! that cake will make a train take a dirt road its that good !!!!! I did actually use Blackberry preserves i canned from fresh picked last summer , no real good Blackberries here right now , I used the preserves in the buttercream instead . I would tell anyone MAKE THIS CAKE ! you will be so happy !
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe .
Alex McCombs says
This cake was incredible! It turned out perfectly and everyone raved about it! The blackberry buttercream has just the right balance of sweet and tart. I was working with a “Spider-Man” cake request, and the natural color of the blackberries made a great base for a red frosting! I can’t wait to make it again so I leave it the natural color though!
This cake is delicious. I made it for my daughter’s birthday – everyone loved it adults and kids alike..
Regina Tsetseranos says
I read a bunch of recipes today while trying to find the best birthday cake to make for the man that I am very interested in.
I am definitely choosing one of your recipes but I am torn between the chocolate cake and the one with blackberry frosting. Which one do you think recommend? Also, how do you sieve the puree?? I have never done that. Any tips will be appreciated.
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
Hi Regina, I love both equally so it really comes down to preference. Both will impress. Do you think the man you are making it for is more into different and unique flavors? If so, make the chocolate with blackberry. If he is more classic and plain, go with all chocolate. Basically you are just removing the seeds from the frosting when you sieve the puree so the buttercream is smooth at the end.
This recipe was such a joy to make, and it came out looking beautiful and tasting delicious!! The coffee/chocolate combo was just the right balance of flavor, and the texture of the cake was perrrrfect. I’ll definitely be making this one again. 🙂
What temperature and time would I need to use to make this as cupcakes?
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
I would actually just make my chocolate cupcakes recipe here that is already prepared with what you need: https://grandbaby-cakes.com/perfect-chocolate-cupcakes-recipe/
Kimberly Sims says
I want to make a good chocolate cake that will be layered and decorated. I’m torn between this recipe and chocolate birthday cake recipe.