This traditional Mexican Chicken Pozole Recipe is perfectly flavored and spiced made with comforting hominy, peppers, delicious chicken and so much love. If you love comforting soups like Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup or Chicken Chili or Carrot Ginger Soup or even Tomato Basil Soup, you will adore this perfectly spiced soup that makes you feel right at home. Pair with my Mexican Cornbread for a true Mexican down home meal!!
The BEST Classic Mexican Chicken Pozole Recipe
I’m heading on vacay, and Puerto Vallarta has been calling my name since late last month. The constant dreams of sunny weather, turquoise water and frozen drinks is almost deafening.
Because I’m heading to Mexico for fun and sun, I thought it would be appropriate if my final recipe before departing was a Mexican classic: Chicken Pozole Recipe specifically Chicken Pozole Verde.
The Flavors of Chicken Pozole Soup
I remember the very first time I had chicken pozole verde or chicken posole depending on where you are from. I ordered a large bowl of it at a local Chicago restaurant called Flacos Tacos. I frequently ordered a warm and comforting bowl of this chicken pozole recipe.
It is incredibly warming and hinted with spices throughout. It isn’t a cream based soup but more of a broth soup. The broth is highly flavored however so it isn’t like a lot of watered down soups you may have tried before.
What is Pozole Verde? What is Pozole Made Of?
Pozole is a classic Mexican soup made rich with so many flavors, usually hominy and a meat like chicken or pork.
Pozole Verde, at first glance, has strange murky green color. Bobbing along the broth are chicken shreds and bits of hominy. At first taste, the subtle yet potent poblano and jalapeno peppers are perfectly paired with tomatillos and the homey flavor of chicken and hominy.
Key Ingredients in Chicken Pozole Recipe
I mentioned broadly some of the ingredients that make pozole so special but here is a breakdown of the most important ingredients in this pozole soup:
- Poblano Chile
- Shredded Chicken
Time Saver Time for Chicken: For the chicken, I actually bake my chicken breasts but if you want to save time, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and hand shred it!
How To Make Posole
The most important tool you will need for this recipe is a heavy duty blender or food processor. You will need to add the key flavor ingredients: tomatillos, onions, chilis, garlic and cilantro in order to blend until completely smooth.
This mixture will serve as a key component that will perfectly marry with the chicken stock to make the base of your soup. By actually heating the tomatillo mixture over the stove, you will enhance the flavors of the aromatics a bit more.
The hominy can be canned. I usually find them right in the ethnic aisle of my local grocery store or you can find them at your local Mexican grocery store as well.
Serving tip: Make sure once your soup is complete, you have plenty of garnishes. This is what really makes this soup so so special. Grab avocado, red radishes, limes and some additional cilantro to make this soup really incredible.
Everything in this soup just works. All of the ingredients work to enhance its counterparts, never overwhelming another.
It is both filling and fulfilling in the most comforting way. Spoonful after spoonful I imagined a Mexican grandmother preparing me this meal in her loving kitchen just like my Big Mama used to do for me. It’s a beautiful heartfelt recipe with lots of soul, just the kind I love.
Why make this Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe?
I actually asked around to a lot of friends to see if they had a recipe. A few promised me one from their grandmothers but for some reason, (even after begging numerous times) I never received one. I guess it is pretty guarded in some families like most sacred heirloom recipes.
After my frustration, I ended up trying a few renditions online and found one that tasted just like the one I remembered at Flacos Tacos. This recipe created the same warm feelings for me, and made me even more excited for my trip to Mexico. Pair it with a side of this Mexican cornbread or with some of these shrimp tacos for a full Mexican feast.
Learn how to throw a serious Mexican Fiesta here!
Chicken Pozole Verde Recipe
- 2 tomatillos husked and halved
- 1 half medium onion quartered
- 1 poblano chile cored, seeded and quartered
- 1 jalapeno seeded and quartered
- 2 large garlic cloves smashed
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock separated
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 cooked boneless chicken breasts shredded
- 30 ounces white hominy, drained 2 cans
- Garnish: avocado, lime wedges, radishes and cilantro
- In a food processor or high duty blender, add tomatillos, onion, both chiles, garlic, and cilantro and pulse/blend until everything is completely smooth with no chunks.
- Add oil to a medium sized pot over medium heat. Pour green puree in pot along with 1 cup of chicken stock. Whisk together and season with salt and pepper.
- Allow puree to cook, occasionally stirring, until it turns a darker green color. This can take up to 15 minutes.
- While puree cooks, add remaining chicken stock and water to a larger pot over medium heat.
- Once puree is dark green, whisk it into the liquid in the larger pot.
- Next add shredded chicken breasts and drained hominy and stir together until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook soup over medium heat until heated throughout then serve.
- Garnish pozole with traditional toppings like avocado, lime wedges, radishes and cilantro if desired.