This easy Fajita Chili recipe that starts with fajita seasoning, peppers and onions resulting in new and exciting flavors added to homemade chili.
The Heart and Soul of the Best Fajita Chili Recipe
My mom makes a mean pot of chili. I grew up craving it as the weather got colder. It was one of the only things that released the “chill” in my bones. This fajita chili recipe is a twist on that classic chili recipe my mom used to make.
Cuisine Inspiration: Tex-Mex Fiesta
Kick your taste buds into high gear with this fiesta in a bowl, marrying the bold flavors of fajitas with the heartiness of chili.
Primary Cooking Method: Slow Simmer
Let the flavors meld together as everything simmers slowly, creating a harmonious blend of spices and ingredients.
Dietary Info: Protein-Packed & Gluten-Free
Chock-full of chicken and veggies, it’s a gluten-free delight that doesn’t skimp on flavor or satisfaction.
Key Flavor: Spicy & Savory
Embrace the heat and the beat of Tex-Mex spices, giving you that zesty kick in every spoonful.
Skill Level: Easy Peasy
No need for a culinary degree here – just a love for good food and bold flavors!
- A Symphony of Spices: A melody of cumin, chili, and paprika to dance on your palate.
- Veggie Delight: Packed with peppers and onions for an extra crunch and pop of color.
- Chicken Charm: Tender, juicy pieces of chicken to make your heart and belly happy.
- Fix It and Forget It: Toss the ingredients in and let the stove (or slow cooker) do the heavy lifting.
- Versatile Vavoom: Perfect for any season, occasion, or craving – it’s the chili that keeps on giving!
- Olive Oil: The liquid gold that gets everything sizzling and flavors mingling.
- Minced Garlic: Bringing the pungent and aromatic zing, it’s like the life of the chili party!
- Diced Onion: Sweet and sharp, these little guys add a pop of texture and a ton of flavor.
- Sliced Green and Red Bell Peppers: A colorful duo, they’re all about that sweet crunch and vibrant vibes.
- Boneless Chicken Breasts: Lean, mean, protein-packed slices ready to soak up all the goodness.
- Diced Tomatoes: These canned cuties bring the juiciness and a touch of tang.
- Tomato Sauce: Smooth, rich, and laying down the base like a boss.
- Kidney Beans: Hearty, healthy, and just the right kind of filling.
- Fajita Seasoning: A spicy serenade of flavors ready to kick things up a notch!
- Chili Seasoning: The bold and the brave, it’s what gives this chili its name and fame.
- Salt and Pepper: The dynamic duo, here to make sure everything’s seasoned to perfection.
How to Make Fajita Chili
I start by browning sliced green and red peppers and onions in a pan with pieces of chicken breast and minced garlic.
Once everything is cooked, I add in my favorite and conventional chili ingredients like kidney beans and diced tomatoes and chili seasoning.
The combination of flavors that emerges is insane!!
How to Store and Reheat
Once the chili has cooled down, transfer it into an airtight container and pop it in the fridge; it’ll stay fresh and tasty for up to 3-4 days. When you’re ready to reheat, simply scoop out your desired portion and reheat it in a pot over medium heat until it’s hot and bubbly, or give it a whirl in the microwave, checking and stirring every minute to ensure even heating.
More Chili Recipes
If you are looking for more chili recipes, check out these:
- This White Chicken Chili is a must during the fall and winter seasons.
- If you’re looking for a non-traditional chili recipe, try my Chicken Chili with Black Eyed Peas
- And for the classic, you must try the best chili.
How to Serve
- Serve these chili recipes with my favorite Mexican cornbread recipe
- Or go old school with my classic Corn Muffins recipe
- Wash it all down with my refreshing Southern Sweet Tea recipe
Fajita Chili Recipe (How to Make Chili)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced green and red bell peppers
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts sliced into wedges
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can
- 8 ounce tomato sauce 1 can
- 15.5 ounces kidney beans, drained 1 can
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Garnish with shredded cheese chopped cilantro, diced green onions and sour cream
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add diced onions, peppers and chicken, salt and pepper, and cook until chicken is cooked through and peppers and onions are softened.
- Next, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and kidney beans then stir in fajita and chili seasonings.
- Lower the heat to medium low and slowly cook occasionally stirring chili until everything thickens (about 10-15 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste. Cool for 10 minutes to allow everything to further thicken and allow flavors to deepen.
- Garnish and serve.