Fajita Chili Recipe – An easy chili recipe that starts with fajita seasoning, peppers and onions resulting in new and exciting flavors added to homemade chili. If you love fajitas, try these Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas and Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas. If you love this chili, definitely try my Best Chili Recipe ever!
CHILI RECIPE WITH A TWIST
My mom makes a mean pot of chili. I grew up craving it as the weather got colder. It was one of the only things that released the “chill” in my bones. This fajita chili recipe is a twist on that classic chili recipe my mom used to make.
Fajitas are one of my favorite Mexican foods. About a year ago, I started mixing the flavors of the fajitas with my chili recipe, which is a variation of my mom’s, and loved the results. It is like the best of both worlds, which is great for someone like me who is generally indecisive when it comes to what I want for dinner. I end up having both fajitas and chili when I make this!
This fajita chili recipe has become one of my favorite homemade chili recipes. I use a conventional chili seasoning to make this chili recipe, but I have added an additional fajita seasoning to the recipe. Generally speaking, fajita seasoning does not pack the heat (in terms of spice, i.e. cayenne pepper) that chili seasoning does, but combining the two makes this homemade chili a real winner!
HOW TO MAKE CHILI – FAJITA CHILI RECIPE
I start by browning sliced green and red peppers and onions in a pan with pieces of chicken breast and minced garlic. Once everything is cooked, I add in my favorite and conventional chili ingredients like kidney beans and diced tomatoes and chili seasoning. The combination of flavors that emerges is insane!!
This chili recipe is hearty, thick, comforting and downright delicious! It has a nice spice to it from the chili seasoning but also the fajita flavor brings this chili recipe to another level. This would be great at your next game day party or whenever you tailgate. Who doesn’t love chili during football season? At the end of the day, I adore this chili! And soon you will too.
If you are looking for more chili recipes, check out these:
- This White Chicken Chili is a must during the fall and winter seasons.
- If you’re looking for a non-traditional chili recipe, try my Chicken Chili with Black Eyed Peas
- Serve these chili recipes with my favorite Mexican cornbread recipe
- Or go old school with my classic Corn Muffins recipe
- Wash it all down with my refreshing Southern Sweet Tea recipe
Fajita Chili Recipe (How to Make Chili)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced green and red bell peppers
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts sliced into wedges
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes 1 can
- 8 ounce tomato sauce 1 can
- 15.5 ounces kidney beans, drained 1 can
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Garnish with shredded cheese chopped cilantro, diced green onions and sour cream
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add diced onions, peppers and chicken, salt and pepper, and cook until chicken is cooked through and peppers and onions are softened.
- Next, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and kidney beans then stir in fajita and chili seasonings.
- Lower the heat to medium low and slowly cook occasionally stirring chili until everything thickens (about 10-15 minutes). Salt and pepper to taste. Cool for 10 minutes to allow everything to further thicken and allow flavors to deepen.
- Garnish and serve.
Phyllis Scott says
Can you use seafood instead of chicken? Like shrimp or scallops?
Such a good combination of fajitas and chili! Need to double the recipe next time- served with tortilla chips.
I love this combination of fajitas with chili con carne. Looks heavenly!!
Hilary Banks Fly says
I’m at work on a graveyard and I’m going to grocery store in the am to get all of the ingredients to make it his before my next graveyard shift! I looooove this blog! The content and aesthetics are great!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
Thank you so much!
How many people does this serve?
Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) says
This serves about 4-6.