Get ready to level up your treat game with my Lemon Brookies, where zesty lemon cookies and fudgy brownies unite to drop a flavor bomb that’s all kinds of delish. Tantalizing and full of sunshine, this is one of my favorite bar recipes.
Brookies: The Perfect Combination of Cookies and Brownies
I have never been able to decide which I like better: cookies or brownies? Cookies are that perfectly round handheld snack that I could eat a dozen of in one sitting, and brownies are that fudgy dense bar that make you sigh in delight after one bite. Both are equally dangerous, especially when combined into lemon brookies.
When I can’t make a decision, I select both! A couple years ago I made these chipster topped brownies (classic brownies topped with classic chocolate chip cookies) and fell in love. Cookies and brownies in one? What a fantastic invention. They fit together like peanut butter and jelly or yin and yang or Mickey and Minnie (well you get the point).
I wanted a brownie/cookie combo with a lovely spring flavor profile so I quickly turned to lemon. My Facebook following asked for lemon brownies next on the blog but I thought this was an awesome twist.
How to Make Lemon Brookies
To create these lemon brookies, I used Pillsbury’s yummy sugar cookie dough on the bottom and added an incredible lemon brownie recipe to the top. Pure bliss is what I got in return. These are just delish! And super easy and fast to make too!
- Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. This prep step is key for an even bake and easy cleanup.
- Get your lemons ready – you’ll need fresh zest and juice to bring that bright, citrusy flavor to the table.
- Use flour to break apart the cookie dough then press and bake.
- Create the lemon bar filling that bakes on top of the cookie crust by whisking together the eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest until combined. Then add in the flour and pour on top of the baked cookie crust.
- Bake, cool and get ready to serve.
More Lemon Bar Recipes
I love the flavor of this recipe and the ease of it. In fact, I just had to share with y’all more of my favorite citrusy bars that get a lot of attention in my house!
- Blackberry Lemon Bars– When you need a nice sweet twist on a classic lemon bar with a gorgeous color to boot, this the way to go my boos!
- Mango Lemon Bars– I am a serious mango fanatic. Adding mango flavor to a classic lemon bar was one of the most genius things I’ve ever done. Definitely try this recipe!
- Strawberry Lemonade Bars – This recipe cuts down on using a ton of ingredients and just uses lemonade to amp up that filling, and boy or boy is it good!
Get ready to level up your treat game with our Lemon Brookies, where zesty lemon cookies and b blondies unite to drop a flavor bomb that's all kinds of lit.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 16 servings
- 1 package sugar cookie dough
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8X8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add a little flour to your fingers to break apart cookie dough. Evenly press sugar cookie dough into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove pan from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cookie crust cools, add butter, sugar, salt and flour to bowl of a mixer and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and lemon zest until combined.
- Pour into the flour mixture and beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully spread lemon brownie batter evenly over cooled cookie dough (dough will still be warm and may move a bit).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they turn golden on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and serve.
Lemon Brownie adapted from Rita's Recipes I love to add powdered sugar to the top of these to give it that classic lemon bar feel.
Calories: 199kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 102mg | Potassium: 43mg | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.7mg