Oreo Cake Bars – the flavor of oreo cookies combined with the St. Louis classic ooey gooey cake recipe is a match made in dessert heaven! Make this recipe all year round. If you love these, you will also love this Oreo Cheesecake.
I actually wanted to work on these last month but my husband ate the brand new bag of oreos that were in the house. Oh, you know how husbands can be. I went looking for them and noticed that the empty bag was in the trash so this oreo cake bars recipe was put on hold.
It probably wasn’t a bad idea that I waited until AFTER lent to feature this oreo cake bars dessert because you might eat a bit more than you should. These were oh so tasty.
I knew the ultimate pairing for oreos had to be the gooey gooey cake. Most people have heard of this cake due to Paula Deen, but we had the original recipe in my family for decades. It also originated in St. Louis, where my Aunt Bev lives. It has been a family favorite forever.
For these oreo cake bars, I created a chocolate version that was awesome paired with the cream cheese cool whip oreo topping. Seriously, go make these and hand them out at work next week. Your co-workers will nominate you as “Employee of the Month” right away.
If you like this oreo recipe, then I know you’ll love some of my other recipes featuring oreos.
Oreo Cake Bars
I knew the ultimate pairing for oreos had to be the gooey gooey cake. Most people have heard of this cake due to Paula Deen but we had the original recipe in my family for decades and it originated in St. Louis, where my Aunt Bev lives. It has been a family favorite forever.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 24 bars
For the Bottom Cake Layer
- 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 large egg room temperature
For the Gooey Chocolate Layer
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp granulated coffee
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
For the Cookie Whipped Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 10 oreo cookies crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
For the Bottom Layer
- Add chocolate cake mix, egg, and melted butter to a large bowl and whisk together until well mixed. Pat the cake mixture to the sprayed pan and evenly pat down into the bottom of the pan.
For the Gooey Chocolate Layer
- Add cream cheese to your mixer bowl and mix on high for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Bring the mixer to low speed and slowly add in powdered sugar, eggs, cocoa powder, coffee and vanilla extract. Lastly, add in melted butter.
- Spread completed gooey chocolate layer over the top of the bottom cake layer. Bake for 35 minutes (check there but up to 40). Do NOT overbake this cake. It should remain gooey and undone in the center when it is done baking. Allow to cool.
For the Cookie Whipped Cream:
- In the bowl of your mixer, add heavy cream and powdered sugar and mix on high speed until soft peaks.
- Lastly, add 1/2 of chopped oreos and fold in and beat until stiff peaks.
- Spread oreo topping on top of gooey cake and sprinkle with remaining chopped oreos and serve.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 188mg | Potassium: 102mg | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.4mg