Each bite of these Twice Baked Potatoes is loaded with creamy butter, tangy sour cream, melted cheese and fresh chives. Baked until crispy, golden brown and bubbly, this flavorful side dish will have the whole family raving! If you love these, you will also love these Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Perfect Baked Potatoes, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Baked Potato Salad, Scalloped Potatoes, Baked Potato Salad, and Potato and Squash Gratin.
I could eat potatoes any time of day, any day of the week! I mean seriously, serve them up fried, baked, smashed, or boiled and I’m there.
Today’s recipe is one of my absolute favorite ways to eat a plate of spunky spuds. Twice Baked Potatoes are like crispy, salty potato skins stuffed with creamy, cheesy, fluffy mashed potatoes. It doesn’t get any better than that!
These dreamy and creamy little boats make for the perfect appetizer or side dish!
WHAT IS A TWICE BAKED POTATO?
Twice Baked Potatoes are potatoes that are baked twice in two different parts of the recipe. The potatoes are first cooked until tender, then scooped out to create a hollow potato shell. The fluffy potato innards are then mixed with an assortment of tasty toppings and stuffed back into the empty shells.
Once refilled, the potatoes are typically topped with cheese and baked for a second time. The result is a crunchy, creamy, cheesy potato that you will absolutely want more than one of!
TWICE BAKED POTATO INGREDIENTS
A Twice Baked Potato worth its weight in gold has a stellar filling! That’s why I made sure to stuff my potatoes to the brim with creamy, cheesy, tangy, flavorful ingredients. You’ll want to eat this stuff by the spoonful!
The filling is made with:
- Russet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
NOTE: This recipe is totally customizable! Make it your own by adding a protein like bacon, shredded chicken, or pulled pork. Choose a different variety of cheeses or load up on veggies! The options are endless!
HOW TO MAKE A TWICE BAKED POTATO
There ain’t much to this recipe! Just a handful of ingredients and a few simple steps. Wanna know how it’s done?
- BAKE ‘EM- To get these potatoes nice and tender, we bake them at 425 degrees for a little over an hour. Be sure to poke around the potatoes with a fork or knife, ensuring it cooks evenly. Once out of the oven, allow the potatoes to cool for at least 20 minutes; they are very hot and you don’t wanna get burnt.
- STUFF ‘EM- This is the fun part! Scrape out the flesh of the potatoes into a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients to the bowl, making sure to reserve half of the cheddar cheese. Mix everything until it’s combined, then stuff the mixture back into each one of the empty potato jackets.
- THEN BAKE ‘EM AGAIN!- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of each potato. Transfer the baking sheet back into the oven and bake until tender and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
And that’s all she wrote! Serve your potatoes immediately with a side of extra sour cream and chives, if desired.
WHAT DO I SERVE BAKED POTATOES WITH?
Twice Baked Potatoes can be a meal all in themselves or you can serve them as a show stopping side. Some of my favorite main courses to serve them with are:
- HONEY GLAZED HAM
- NASHVILLE HOT CHICKEN
- GRILLED RIBEYE STEAK WITH TEQUILA GLAZE
- CHICKEN FRIED STEAK
- HARVEST FALL SALAD
- BUFFALO FRIED CAULIFLOWER
- ORANGE HONEY BBQ WINGS
- BBQ BABY BACK RIBS
CAN I REFRIGERATE THE LEFTOVERS?
Of course! Twice Baked Potatoes can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or foil. Properly stored, these potatoes will keep in the fridge for about five days. If you aren’t going to eat your potatoes by then, you can freeze them instead. See freezing instructions below.
REHEATING FROM REFRIGERATED
You can reheat your Twice Baked Potatoes in the microwave or oven. Keep in mind, the microwave is quicker but you won’t get the same crisp that the oven gives you.
MICROWAVE: Place the potato(es) on a microwave safe plate. Heat on high power, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
OVEN: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the potatoes on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
HOW TO FREEZE TWICE BAKED POTATOES
Allow the Twice Baked Potatoes to cool completely, then place the baking tray in the freezer and freeze until solid, about an hour. Next, either wrap the individual potatoes in foil or store them all in a freezer-safe zip top bag. Keep frozen for up to 3 months.
REHEATING FROM FROZEN
When ready to eat, thaw the potatoes for 24 hours in the fridge. Unwrap the potatoes, top with extra cheese (because why not), and place them on a lightly greased baking sheet. Proceed with one of the reheating methods below.
MICROWAVE: Place the thawed potatoes on a microwave-safe plate. Heat on high power, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
OVEN: Bake 350 degrees until heated through, about 20-25 minutes. Alternatively, you can bake the potatoes from frozen for about 60-70 minutes.
GRANDBABY CAKES’ BEST POTATO RECIPES
Now, I just know that most of y’all have got a bag of potatoes lying around just waiting to go bad. Don’t let them go to waste! Instead, put ‘em to work and whip up a few of my FAVORITE potato recipes.
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 6 large baking potatoes around 12 ounces each
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 1 1/2 cups freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs beaten at room temperature
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Begin by piercing the potatoes with a fork or a knife then add the potatoes to an over rack centered in the middle of the oven. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and can be easily squeezed. That means they are completely cooked through.
- Next allow the potatoes to cool down for 20 minutes.
- Lower the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scrape out the flesh inside of the potatoes into a mixing bowl, being careful not to tear the outside jacket shell of the potatoes.
- Add the butter, heavy cream, sour cream, chives, half of the cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, salt and pepper to the potato flesh that was scraped into the bowl. Mash everything together until combined.
- Spoon the potato mixture back into the potato jackets. Add the filled potatoes to a baking sheet and sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 until the cheese is completely melted and potatoes are tender and heated. Serve immediately.
A suggested additional step. After scraping out the potatoe, put the shells back in the oven for around 10 minutes for extra crispness.
Jessica Stroup says
Is there anything more comforting than a twice baked potato? These are so good!
One of my favorite ways to eat potato!! A huge hit at my house!
These potatoes look amazing! I am making them tonight for dinner! Thanks for the detailed instructions!
YES! I’m so happy to have found this recipe. The egg addition is incredible and I’m so excited to have this in my recipe cache!
Ana F. says
These Twice Baked Potatoes turned out amazing! So much flavor on one veggie! Thanks for the recipe!