This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is the real MVP for busy weeknights, potlucks and tailgating! Throw the ingredients in your crock pot and let it work its magic. Fast forward a few hours and bam! You’ve got yourself the most sensational, flavor-packed white chicken chili you’ve ever tasted. We’re talking loads of chicken, plenty of white beans, all jazzed up with lime juice and the boldness of salsa verde. It’s hearty, satisfying, and simply packed with so much savory goodness!
Growing up, my mama made chili at least once a week. And it was bomb too! I’m pretty sure that most of us are familiar with the traditional chili she made with ground meat (beef or turkey), chili powder, and kidney beans. This white chicken chili, however, is a great way to switch it up without skimping on flavor. Even better, this crockpot chili recipe saves you time and effort.
Why You’ll Love This White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Perfect Dish for Many Occasions. It’s great for bringing to a tailgate party or serving for busy weeknights!
- Warming and Comforting Flavors. An excellent menu item that’s great for cooler weather!
- Great Recipe to Make for a Crowd. Everything cooks up in one pot, making it so easy to make for larger groups.
Ingredients to Make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
This recipe relies on chicken plus a handful of pantry staples. Here’s a closer look at the main ingredients. You will find the full list and quantities of each in the recipe card.
- Chicken breasts: Choose skinless, boneless chicken breasts to save time! If you prefer dark meat, you can also make this recipe with boneless skinless thighs.
- Chicken stock: Makes the chili broth taste a whole lot better than cooking in just water.
- Salsa verde: Choose mild or hot, depending on the flavor you prefer. Green salsa verde gives your chicken chili a bright flavor with a bit of zing!
- Lime juice: Adds an extra layer of essence with that citrusy acid. It really brings everything together. For even more lime flavor, serve wedges on the side in case anyone wants more.
- Chicken bouillon cubes: This boosts the flavor of the chili giving it a bit more depth.
- Spices: We will be using cumin, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and crushed red pepper to season white chicken chili.
- Cannellini beans: Canned beans work best to save time. We will be adding them at the end.
- Onion: An easy aromatic vegetable giving this chili more depth of flavor.
How to Make Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Add the chicken breasts, chicken stock, salsa verde, lime juice, bouillon cubes, cumin, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and crushed red pepper to your slow cook and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high with 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken when it’s almost cooked and shred it using two forks.
- Add the beans and onions, return the shredded chicken to the pot, and continue to cook for the remaining 40 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve. This is perfect with homemade cornbread.
Tips for Making the Best Crockpot Chicken Chili
- Like a Thicker Chili Broth? Add flour towards the end of the cooking time to thicken it up.
- Use Fresh Lime Juice. It has much better flavor than bottled. While you’re at it, grab a few extras and serve lime wedges for squeezing just before eating!
- Adjust the Flavors to Your Taste. Make this recipe yours by adjusting any of the seasonings to make it taste the way you and your family love it.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Add Corn: Add a drained can of corn or cup of frozen corn with the beans and chicken at the end.
- Spicy Chili: If you prefer a spicy chili you can add a chopped jalapeno along with the beans at the end of cooking.
- Swap the Beans: Instead of cannellini beans you can use another variety of white bean or pinto beans.
- Time Saving Options: Use leftover shredded chicken, turkey or a rotisserie chicken. In this variation, throw everything into the slow cooker and heat on low for 3-4 hours, on high for 2 hours, or until everything is heated through.
What to Serve with White Chicken Chili
- Add Lots of Toppings. These can include tortilla strips, jalapenos, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, and avocado. Set these out for everyone to add their own toppings to their bowl of white chili.
- Cornbread: It works perfect for dipping! Change it up and try some corn muffins, Mexican cornbread, or hot water cornbread.
- Serve Over Rice. I like plain white or brown rice but you can also try this Mexican rice recipe.
- Need a Good Tailgating Sweet? Lemon brookies and these fudgy chewy brownies are always a hit!
How to Store & Reheat Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
If you are lucky enough to have some leftovers, store them in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container. Reheat the chili in a pot on the stove over medium heat until warmed all the way through. Thaw frozen chili in the fridge overnight before reheating. If it’s too thick after storing, you can add a lil’ chicken broth to thin it out.
How long will slow cooker white chicken chili last in the fridge?
When stored properly it will last up to four days in the fridge.
Can I freeze crockpot chicken chili?
Yep you know it! Store it in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. For smaller households, portion out the chili into smaller containers so you can take out just what you need.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, not really, as long as you choose a mild salsa verde. It’s got more of a tangy and rich chicken flavor. If you like it spicy, you can add some chopped jalapeno and green chilies, or choose a hot salsa verde to give it a bit more heat.
Take one piece of cooked chicken at a time and hold it with one of the forks. This fork will act as a stabilizer. Using the other fork, start scraping and pulling the chicken apart, using a back-and-forth motion. Apply gentle pressure, and the chicken should easily shred into smaller pieces. If you come across any large or tough pieces, use the forks to break them down further.
It depends on the size of your slow cooker. It’s generally recommended that you don’t fill up a slow cooker more than ¾ full. I generally like to keep it around ½ – ⅔ full as I find recipes cook more evenly at this level. Also, the fuller your crockpot, the longer your dish will take to cook. So, unless you have a high capacity crockpot, I don’t recommend doubling the recipe.
This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Slow Cooker recipe is the ultimate comfort food and requires minimal effort but delivers maximum flavor.
Whether you’re cozying up for a family dinner, getting your tailgate on, bringing the heat to a potluck, or just chilling with friends, this chili is your go-to. Make it your own with a sprinkle of shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, or turn up the heat with some jalapeños. You do you, boo!
More Soup and Chili Recipes
- Fajita Chili
- Chipotle Black Bean Tortilla Soup
- Potato Soup with Crunchy Kale
- Easy Jambalaya Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- White Lasagna Soup
- Chicken Chili with Black-Eyed Peas
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 4 Skinless boneless chicken breasts frozen
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 ⅓ cup fresh salsa verde
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 cans cannellini beans drained
- 1 medium onion diced
- Optional: 2 tablespoons flour or cornstarch for thickening
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Add chicken breasts, chicken stock, salsa verde, lime juice, bouillon cubes, cumin, garlic powder, seasoned salt, and crushed red pepper to your slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or on high with 3-4 hours).
- About 40 minutes before chicken is complete, shred chicken with two forks in liquid.
- Pour in beans and onions, and continue to cook for the remaining 40 minutes.
- If using, carefully whisk in flour and allow sauce to thicken.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve. This is perfect with homemade cornbread.