If your kids love fish sticks, definitely make them this perfectly Crispy Baked Fish Sticks Recipe! They are crunchy and flavorful with tender fish right inside! Irresistible. With a totally different breading than my Oven Fried Catfish and Panko Crusted Fish, this is so good and easy, you will make it several times a week!
As a kid, I only wanted one of two things for weeknight dinner: Chicken nuggets or fish sticks. They are both the quintessential foods that all kids love. Back then, I wasn’t the gourmet I am now. Basically, I loved the kind right in the frozen section, especially the fish sticks.
I loved that classic fish stick taste with its golden brown crunchy exterior and tender flaky fish insides. I remember each taste like it was yesterday. It reminds me of how carefree it felt to be a kid.
Now I still get down with fish sticks but as an adult, I make them from scratch. Free of preservatives and all that jazz, you won’t believe how easy it is to make these. With Lent here, you will love making them for a weeknight meal too.
How to Make Homemade Fish Sticks
I like to use cod fish here because it is mild in taste, flaky and perfect for fish sticks. I use a double dredge process here to prepare them starting with flour and then ending with a highly spiced corn flake coating, which gives it that amazing crunch we know and love.
The very best part of this recipe is the lack of additional fat from frying. I bake these babies right in the oven. They give you that taste of fried fish sticks without the oil.
You can feel good about eating these, and they taste great too. I can’t wait to introduce my future kiddies to this recipe so they can have the fond weeknight dinners I remember growing up but much healthier.
Crispy Baked Fish Sticks
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- ½- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 pound cod fillets cut into 1-inch strips
- Preheat oven to 400° and cover baking sheet with parchment paper and spray liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together corn flakes, paprika, lemon pepper, salt and cayenne until combined then place flour and egg in two separate shallow bowls.
- To assemble, dip fish in flour to coat both sides then dip into eggs and finally into cornflake mixture then place on baking sheet.
- Once done coating all fish, liberally spray tops of fish with additional cooking spray. Bake 12-14 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.