Learn how to make the VERY BEST Fish and Chips Recipe ONLINE this side of the Atlantic Ocean! We’re talking crispy, beer-battered cod fried to golden perfection, served with crunchy potato chips and tangy tartar sauce. It’s a delicious, Atlantic-inspired feast right in your kitchen!
My experience with classic British dish took place years ago and I’ve used it for inspiration to create this signature on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. I remember going to London and trying the authentic rendition for the first time. The flavor was off the chain. It has lived rent free in my head since then.
The fish was so fresh and fried to perfection. The outside was crispy and had a golden brown color. The inside was hot, soft and super tender.
I’ve managed to create a fried fish and potatoes recipe that’s fish fry magic boos. The fish comes out golden brown and perfectly crisp just like in London.
I love hearing the crunch as I bite into it. I can’t wait to make this fried fish recipe again and again and again! There’s no need to travel to England anymore. I can make my own fish and chips right here in the States!!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Deliciously flaky fish that’s tender on the inside with a perfectly crisp outside.
- No need to travel to London to enjoy the BEST flaky fish and crispy chips at the crib!
- An easy recipe made with simple ingredients.
The ingredients for the fish batter are fuss free and can probably be found in your pantry right this minute.
- Fish: for this dish boos, my fave is cod but you can also use haddock. Both these types of fish are light and flaky.
- Vegetable oil: Use a neutral flavored oil that’s good for deep frying and high heat cooking.
- All-purpose flour: Essential to making the crisp outside of the fish.
- Eggs: The glue and moisture that gives the batter its texture and helps it stick to the fish.
- Baking powder: Makes the batter on the fish fluff up a bit as it cooks. Making it light and crisp.
- Salt: Make sure to add salt to the batter but also the fish fillets.
- Beer or milk: I prefer milk over the beer but it works great to make beer battered fish.
- Potatoes: For the fries! Use an all-purpose potato such as Russet potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes for fluffy fries.
How to Make Fish and Chips
It takes just minutes to whip up the batter and get your fish cooking! Here’s an overview of the main steps. Be sure to check out the recipe card for the full instructions.
- Add the flour, eggs, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add the milk (or beer) slowly while whisking it into the flour mixture.
- Sprinkle the fish with salt and pepper. This step is super important to make a flavorful fried fish.
- Dip each piece into the batter coating the piece of fish evenly.
- Cook the fish in oil until it’s golden brown and crispy.
- Fry the potatoes until golden brown when the fish is all cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste.
What to Serve with Beer Battered Fish
Serve up you fried fish with a sauce for dipping. I really love this Cajun remoulade sauce for a different twist on what to serve with this recipe. But a classic tartar sauce works great too! The Brits serve theirs up with malted vinegar so you can give that a try too!
Add a simple salad such as this vinegar coleslaw recipe.
Turn it into a good ‘ole fashioned fish fry. Add on some fried pickles, fried onion rings, and ice cold sweet tea. You can even get down on classic Southern fish fry goodies like Fried Catfish and Fried Shrimp y’all!
Don’t forget some fresh lemon wedges for squeezing over the fish.
It is very important to season the fish before dipping it into the batter for the BEST flavor.
Make sure the fish is dry before dipping it in the batter. If it seems a bit damp use a paper towel to give it a little pat.
Allow the fish to drain on a cookie rack after cooking before transferring them to a serving plate or serving.
Serve immediately for the best flavor.
Cook in batches and don’t overcrowd the fillets in the hot oil.
For my recipe, it all starts with the fish. I follow the industry standard for the fish used for the dish: cod. I use a flaky cod and dip it in a simple yet delicious batter that you can throw together in a few minutes.
‘This can happen if the fish is fully dry before adding dredging it in the batter. Pat it dry with paper towel before seasoning and dipping in the batter. It’s also helpful to allow the fish to fully drain on a rack to prevent it getting soggy and allowing the breading to slip off.
More Delicious Fried Recipes
Love it fried? Try these incredible fried recipes:
- I love some fried shrimp!
- This fried green tomatoes recipe is the best one on the web!
- Fried okra is the very best the south can offer!
- I’m seriously in love with this chicken fried steak recipe!
- If you love buttermilk fried chicken, this one will be your fave!
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
The BEST Fish and Chips Recipe
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup beer or milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound haddock or cod fillets cut into strips
- 3 potatoes cut in fry shapes
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot over medium high heat.
- Whisk together flour, eggs, baking powder, and salt in one medium sized bowl until smooth.
- Next slowly add in beer or milk and continue whisking until batter is combined.
- Salt and pepper fish then dip each piece into batter coating evenly.
- Fry fish in oil until golden brown and crispy.
- Next fry potatoes until golden brown.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve.
This post was originally published August 2018. It has been updated with new content and images.