PLUM NECTARINE GALETTE
WHAT IS A GALETTE?
HOW I DEVELOPED THIS GALETTE RECIPE
Then I just laid thin slices of my plums and nectarines in a decorative spiral shape, sprinkled them with granulated sugar and cinnamon and wrapped up the sides with the excess dough. I brushed a little egg wash on top and placed it in the oven. About 40 minutes later, my gorgeous galette was done, and I had more pride than that animated mouse in “Ratatouille.”
Plum Nectarine Galette
For the Pie Crust:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cold and diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons shortening cold
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons cold milk or water
- 1 large egg plus 1 teaspoon water beaten
For the Filling:
- 1 plum pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 nectarine pitted thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Pie Crust:
- To a large bowl, add sifted all-purpose flour, salt and granulated sugar and whisk together to blend.
- Next, add diced butter and shortening to the dry mixture. Using a pastry cutter or fork, begin cutting butter and shortening into the flour creating various sizes of crumbs. The crumbs should range from course pea shapes to larger chunks.
- Add one egg yolk and vinegar to crumb mixture and stir around to combine.
- Finally, slowly pour in milk or water around the entire mixture in two intervals, using your hands to begin bringing the dough together.
- After the last milk addition, shape the dough with your hands into a flatter ball disk. Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out cold dough to size of your liking then alternate plum and nectarine slices in a circular pattern to the center of the dough leaving at least one inch of pie dough on the outskirts to fold over.
- Next sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over slices then fold over the remaining pie dough.
- Brush egg wash over dough.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until filling is tender and bubbly and crust is golden brown. Serve with my Big Mama's Vanilla Ice Cream if you really want a treat!