This Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup recipe is a soul warming crockpot soup filled with intense, flavorful chicken flavor, vegetables galore and tender egg noodles. Simply the best homemade crockpot chicken noodle soup on the internet!
This chicken noodle soup in the slow cooker has all of the elements that make a chicken noodle soup soul-warming.
So this fall when you feel sickness coming on (or even if you don’t) make sure you make a pot of this slow cooker chicken noodle soup — one the best slow cooker chicken recipes out there!
Why You Will Love Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
- It’s ideal for someone who is sick — just toss the ingredients in your slow cooker or crock pot, set the timer, and rest! In a few hours, you have dinner ready, and it’s one the best slow cooker chicken recipes, too!
- The crockpot slowly cooks the chicken allowing it to turn out super tender.
- A comforting and satisfying one-pot meal that’s perfect for any time you’re craving the taste of home.
This recipe for slow cooker chicken soup only requires a certain number of ingredients that truly make it special! Here’s a look at the most important ones!
- Chicken Breasts: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make this recipe much easier. You can also use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat. It is totally up to you.
- Veggies: We’re sticking with the traditional chicken noodle soup veggies, onions, celery, and carrots. They infuse the soup’s base as it cooks with their natural aromatics and flavor.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic to add flavor to the broth. It’s also wonderful for curing colds and illnesses and has been an old-school remedy for centuries. It helps to rev up your immune system so you can fight off colds or even stop them from starting in the first place.
- Turmeric: I use turmeric in this recipe because it is also a wonderful remedy for helping you stay healthy and it adds a beautiful color to your soup!
- Chicken Broth and Bouillon: The broth provides the liquid base for the soup but I add more flavor by including bouillon cubes as well. It intensifies the chicken flavor even more.
- Egg Noodles: Chicken noodle soup isn’t complete without them though of course if you prefer other shaped noodles you can swap them.
How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup in a Slow Cooker
This recipe is quite simple because it really just requires you to dump lots of ingredients into your slow cooker.
- Add the chicken breasts, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bouillon cubes, and turmeric to your slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth over all the other ingredients.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours which is usually long enough to cook the chicken all the way through.
- Remove the chicken from the broth. Use two forks to the chicken apart, shredding it like you do for a Mississippi Pot Roast.
- Return the shredded chicken back to the broth and add the egg noodles and parsley.
- Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
What to Serve with Chicken Noodle Soup
While chicken noodle soup in the crockpot is mostly a complete meal here are some simple serving ideas for side dishes.
- Bread: Try it with some angel biscuits, sweet potato cornbread, or garlic bread.
- Add a sandwich. Such as this pizza grilled cheese or Italian beef grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Comforting dessert. If you’re craving something a bit sweet make a batch of walnut chocolate chip cookies or blueberry crumb bars.
- Store leftovers after completely cooling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. I don’t recommend freezing because the noodles will end up overly soft. Reheat in a saucepan on the stove.
- Use skinless chicken to avoid excess fat in your slow cooker chicken soup.
- You can freeze the chicken soup without the noodles. If you are planning to freeze leftovers, cook the noodles separately and add them to each bowl of soup. Then you can freeze the remaining chicken soup in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. When you reheat the thawed out soup you can add freshly cooked noodles to the pot.
Yes, you can. It needs plenty of liquid to help it cook. In the case of chicken soup in the slow cooker, it has enough liquid to cook properly. The best way to determine if your chicken is ready and safe to eat is to take its internal temperature and make sure it’s at 165 degrees F before removing it and shredding it.
Of course! Just be sure to add them towards the end of cooking so they don’t turn to mush.
No, I do not recommend using frozen chicken. Thaw out the chicken first before adding it to the slow cooker. It will simply doesn’t cook quickly enough leaving it in the temperature danger zone where bacteria breeds.
Incredible Soup Recipes to Try
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Cajun Clam Chowder
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken and Dumplings
- White Lasagna Soup
More Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Italian Beef in the Crockpot
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 ½ cup diced carrots
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Optional: 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 6 cups chicken broth or chicken stock for even more flavor
- 1 large bag egg noodles
- Garnish: fresh chopped parsley
- Add chicken breasts, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bouillon cubes, and tumeric if using, to slow cooker.
- Pour chicken broth over ingredients and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from broth. Using two forks, shred the chicken then add back into the broth.
- Next add egg noodles and parsley if using and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until noodles are tender then serve.
This post was originally published in April 2018. It has been updated with new images and content.