This Homemade Cheese Breadsticks recipe will put your local pizzeria’s to shame! A wonderfully tender yet crispy dough is topped with an addictive garlic butter sauce and finished with gooey cheese!
For a website with the name “Cakes” in the title, you would think that the most popular recipe on my site would be a cake right? Not quite. The most popular recipe at the time I wrote this was my homemade garlic bread and second place is my Real Deal Caramel Cake. Bananas right?
Not one week goes by without me receiving an email or comment about how delicious it is. Well I thought I would share another recipe that could be considered a cousin to my garlic bread, this Garlic Cheese Breadsticks Recipe.
The Heart and Soul of these Cheese Breadsticks
Cuisine Inspiration: Italian-American Comfort
Primary Cooking Method: Baking
Dietary Info: Cheesy Goodness
Key Flavor: Garlic and Cheese seasoned to perfection with a hint of Italian herbs.
Skill Level: Easy
- Homemade and Heartfelt: Nothing beats the smell of breadsticks fresh out of the oven, especially when they’re made with love.
- Perfect Pairing: Ideal for dipping in marinara sauce or enjoying alongside your favorite pasta dish, because who doesn’t love a carb on carb action?
- All-Purpose Flour: Gives them structure and that perfect chew.
- Garlic Salt: A garlicky, salty kick to add pizzazz right into the dough.
- Granulated Sugar: Just a hint to sweeten the dough and help the yeast do its thing.
- Dry Active Yeast: This puffs up these sticks into golden, airy delights.
- Lukewarm Water: This gets the yeast all bubbly and ready for action.
- Olive Oil: A splash for the dough to bring richness and keep everything smooth.
- Salted Butter: Melted over the top for a glossy finish and buttery bliss.
- Garlic Powder: This adds another layer of flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: A sprinkle of this herb blend transports you straight to an Italian grandma’s kitchen.
- Italian Shredded Cheese Blend: The gooey, melty heart of these breadsticks.
- Parmesan Cheese: The final, fancy flourish that adds a sharp, salty touch.
How to Make Cheesy Breadsticks
This cheese breadsticks recipe puts Pizza Hut and all pizza chains around the country to shame. The breadsticks start with my easy pizza dough recipe which is perfectly chewy and flavorful (thanks to a hint of garlic salt) on the inside but crispy on the outside.
Next I brushed on a melted garlic and Italian seasoning butter which then got completely covered by a thick layer of shredded cheeses, parmesan and parsley.
Once baked, it became heavenly. Serve with warm pizza sauce on the side if you wish or as is. Either way, these breadsticks are delicious!
How to Serve
If you love serving amazing recipes for game days or just for entertaining like these, check out the following recipes:
How to Store and Reheat
To keep your Cheesy Breadsticks fresh, let them cool down, then store them in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in foil, and pop them in the fridge. When you’re ready for a cheesy encore, just reheat them in the oven at 350°F for about 5-10 minutes, or zap them in the microwave for a quick warm-up. This way, they stay delightfully cheesy and get that just-baked taste all over again!
Favorite Cheesy Recipes
- Garlic Cheese Stuffed Rolls
- Pizza Rolls
- Lobster Mac and Cheese
- White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Pimento Cheese
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
- Cheese Manicotti
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 3/4-1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups Italian shredded cheese blend
- 1/2- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- parsley for garnish
- Optional: warm pizza sauce for serving
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, garlic salt, sugar, yeast and slowly add in water.
- Mix together until dough is created.
- Using your hands knead for one minute and form a ball.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a separate bowl and transfer pizza dough to that bowl. Cover with a paper towel for 1 hour or until dough has doubled.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out dough on your pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Add butter, garlic powder and Italian seasoning to a small bowl and microwave until melted. Whisk together then brush on dough.
- Next sprinkle dough with shredded cheese then parmesan cheese. Lastly, sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until dough has browned and cheese is melted and golden.
- Cut bread into sticks and serve with warm pizza sauce if desired.