HOW TO MAKE VANILLA ICE CREAM
I received no measurements but I am pretty used to that. Big Mama cooks and bakes through instinct and has perfected that art. I, however, am a bit more calculated with my process in the kitchen. I am creative and zany with my ideas but just need a bit more structure.
MY VANILLA ICE CREAM RECIPE: BEST VANILLA ICE CREAM
So I worked on this vanilla ice cream recipe and tried figuring out ratios that would work. And I think I came pretty close.
The creaminess of the recipe definitely comes from the addition of both half and half and heavy cream. It makes it so rich. I also love how many eggs and egg yolks are in this recipe. It makes it incredibly scoopable when placed in the freezer for long periods of time. That’s always a problem with homemade ice creams I have noticed. Finally, I added vanilla bean paste to the original vanilla ice cream recipe to really punch up the vanilla flavor in addition to the vanilla extract.
And I love see the flecks of vanilla bean throughout the ice cream, too. The only thing that was missing from this vanilla ice cream was Big Mama’s love so I added a heaping tablespoon of that for good measure.
This ice cream is definitely one of my favorites. The flavors are completely pure. If you love this one, you will absolutely love my strawberry ice cream as well since it is a variation of this. My Berry Ripple Ice Cream is similar too with just a punch of berry flavor.
- There is nothing like a piece of my Southern Peach Cobbler Recipe along with a scoop of this.
- Speaking of peaches, this Caramel Peach Dump Cake is amazing with this ice cream too.
- If you love chocolate and vanilla, this coca cola cake is incredible!
- A scoop of this over warm my Pineapple Upside Down Cake is also a good move.
- And of course there is nothing like ice cream and pound cake. My cream cheese pound cake is definitely the one to make.
- 3 large large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vanilla paste
- Beat eggs and egg yolks in a medium sized bowl. Next add sugar to the bowl and whisk together.
- Add heavy cream and half and half to a large pot and heat to boiling level. Remove from heat.
Slowly add three tablespoons one at a time of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture to temper it and whisk very quickly to combine. Then slowly add in the rest of the milk mixture and continue whisk the entire time to make sure it doesn't scramble.
- Lastly add in flour and stir to combine.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill completely.
- Remove mixture from refrigerator and stir in vanilla extract and vanilla paste.
- Add your mixture to an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions and freeze.