Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe – This pound cake is velvety, buttery, rich and perfectly creamy filled with the moistness and flavor of sour cream. This generational recipe will become a true classic in your family for years to come.
BIG MAMA’S CREAM CHEESE POUND CAKE
My Big Mama’s cake recipes are the true treasures of my family. They work consistently and perfectly always yielding impeccable results. Tried and true and passed down through generations, I’ve learned how to make mostly all of them. From my Mama’s 7 up pound cake to the most perfect cream cheese pound cake (and even more of the best pound cake recipes here), they are all my favorites depending on my mood and the occasion. After sharing so many, I knew it was time to share my Big Mama’s Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe.
WHY DO YOU ADD SOUR CREAM TO CAKE?
POUND CAKE TEXTURE
With a crumb as smooth as silk, this sour cream pound cake recipe is dense to the point of creaminess, and velvety-soft as it melts on your tongue. Each bite is truly heaven, so be prepared to reach for that second or third slice. Depending on when you make it, it can shine any season you present it.
HOW TO SERVE THIS SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE
Adding fresh berries or peaches as a topping can add a delightful lightness that will be the highlight of any summer get-together. In the fall, add cinnamon or brown sugar to the batter like in this brown sugar pound cake and a maple glaze or a brown butter glaze, and for Christmas it is absolutely lovely with a mint flavored whipped cream or a decadent blood orange glaze. All of these options compliment the buttery richness of the cake perfectly. But don’t get it twisted, this cake is incredible all on it’s own.
This Sour Cream Pound Cake recipe is straightforward to make, and if stored in an airtight container, can stay fresh for days (if it lasts that long)! That means its perfect for indulgent late night treats or as an offering to unexpected guests or even lightly toasted and served with your morning coffee. The possibilities are endless. So get baking and treat yourself today. The smell in your kitchen alone will draw you in for one slice after the next.
This pound cake is velvety, buttery, rich and perfectly creamy filled with the moistness and flavor of sour cream. This generational recipe will become a true classic in your family for years to come.
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream room temperature
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Start by preheating your oven to 325 F then liberally spray a 12 cup bundt pan with non-stick baking spray.
- In your stand mixer bowl, add butter and sugar and mix for 3-4 minutes on high speed until very pale yellow and fluffy.
- Next add eggs, one at a time, combining well after each addition and scraping down the sides of your bowl as needed.
Turn your mixer down to its lowest speed, and slowly add flour into batter in two increments then add salt and baking soda. Be careful not to overbeat.
- Lastly add in sour cream and vanilla extract, scrape down sides and mix until just combined and turn off mixer.
- Pour cake batter into prepared bundt pan, and bake for 1 hour and 15-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes then invert cake on serving plate for at least an hour or until the cake is cool to touch.