We’re exploring all the delicious and comforting flavors that make Southern baking so great. We’ve got classic pound cake recipes passed down through families and some new twists that’ll make you want more. This collection of pound cake recipes is going to take you on a tasty adventure you’ll want to share!
If there is one thing I know (my name is Grandbaby “Cakes” after all), it is good cakes, and especially Pound Cake Recipes! The first cakes I learned to make were the pound variety.
So I am so excited to share with you some of the very best pound cake recipes the internet has to offer. I hope you enjoy!!
Why You’ll Love My Pound Cakes
- Tried and True Recipes: Each recipe has been tested and perfected, guaranteeing you a delicious and successful baking experience every time.
- Easy-to-follow instructions: Clear, step-by-step instructions will ensure that even beginner-level bakers can create the perfect pound cake without a hitch.
- Variety: There’s a flavor for every mood and occasion!
- Homemade with Heart: Every recipe is made and crafted with love and care, bringing that touch of homemade goodness to every bite.
Tips for making the best pound cakes
- Don’t rush mixing – Overmixing your cake batter can result in a dense and tough crumb. When mixing, think of pancake batter, a few lumps here and there won’t hurt anyone.
- Room temperature ingredients – Ensure your butter, eggs, and dairy products are all at the same temperature. This will allow the mix to come together more smoothly without overmixing.
- Measuring ingredients accurately – Oftentimes a cake or cookie can become too dry because the flour wasn’t measured accurately. Using the proper tools to measure dry versus wet ingredients can also make a difference. I will often use cake flour in my cakes, and while this isn’t a common ingredient in everyone’s pantry, you can easily make your own cake flour!
- Checking for doneness – A toothpick or skewer inserted into the center of your pound cake is best for checking for doneness. If it comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs, then your cake is done. Do keep in mind for cakes that have a filling, or other added ingredients that add moisture, you may want to check a couple of different spots. It’s common to puncture fruit or filling and mistake the cake for being underdone.
- Flipping out your cake – We all want to eat our cake as soon as we can, but it’s very important to give pound cakes enough time to cool before turning them out. Turn it out too soon and you might have some broken pieces the same is also true if you turn it out too late. Give the cake 10-15 minutes of cooling time before turning it out. Prepping your cake pan is very important as well, my Homemade Cake Release is perfect for making sure you don’t have any bits sticking to the pan.
Putting Together A Dessert Menu
Creating a dessert menu with your pound cake as the star allows you to showcase your dessert with other complementary treats creating a well rounded dessert experience.
- Balance the flavors: Pair a rich chocolate cake with the sweet tartness of strawberries. Or a sticky caramel with a smooth and creamy vanilla ice cream.
- Consider the season: Pair seasonal ingredients and like desserts together. Spiced cakes will pair well with apples, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes.
- Mini options: Offer mini pound cakes, or even a variety of slices to allow your guests to try different flavors.
- Accompaniments: Serve complementary ice cream, sauces, custards, or fresh fruits to enhance your cakes and your dining experience.
Classic Flavor Pound Cakes
- Sour Cream Pound Cake Recipe – A classic, rich, and moist pound cake with a hint of tanginess from the sour cream.
- Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe – This recipe is a creamy twist on the classic, with extra richness from the cream cheese.
- Old Fashioned Butter Pound Cake Recipe – Timeless and buttery, this one takes your back to your grandmas kitchen!
- Almond Pound Cake – Nutty and delicious, almond lovers will enjoy every bite of this one.
- Kentucky Butter Cake with Brown Butter Glaze – A moist, buttery cake with a warm, toasty glaze that is irresistible.
Fruit Infused Pound Cakes
- Fresh Strawberry Pound Cake Recipe – Bursting with fresh strawberry flavor, this pound cake is like a slice of summer.
- The BEST Lemon Pound Cake Recipe (With Video!) – A zesty and refreshing take on pound cake that will excite all lemon lovers.
- Peach Pound Cake – Sweet and fruity, this cake brings the freshness of fresh peaches to your table.
- Key Lime Cake Recipe – A tangy and sweet cake that transports you straight to the Florida Keys.
- Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake Recipe – A classic blend of tart lemon and sweet blueberries, a true crowd-pleaser!
- Strawberry Pound Shortcake – A sweet berry treat that’s perfect for any occasion.
- Blueberry Orange Bundt Cake – Citrusy and sweet, this refreshing pound cake is wonderful in the transition to the cooler months.
- Caramel Apple Pound Cake – If a candy apple was a cake, a tasty combination of sweet caramel and tart apples.
- Pineapple Rum Cake Recipe – Tropical and boozy, it’s a beach party in a cake!
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Cake – Light and citrusy with a hint of richness from the olive oil.
- Strawberry Lemonade Cake – A sweet and tangy summer treat, this pound cake is a welcomed combination of sweet strawberries and tart lemonade flavors perfect for summer.
Decadent Chocolate Pound Cakes
- Chocolate Pound Cake With Peppermint Ganache – An irresistible blend of chocolate and peppermint that’s rich and luscious.
- Brownie Swirl Pound Cake – A lovely texture combination of fluffy pound cake and the dense richness of fudgy brownies.
- Deep Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe – A chocolate lovers dream, rich and indulgent. Perfect with ice cream!
- Baileys Chocolate Bundt Cake Recipe With Cream Cheese Filling – Creamy, chocolatey, and with a hint of Bailey’s, it’s truly an elevated dessert!
- Milky Way Cake – Make the most of your Halloween leftovers with this candy bar cake.
Spiced Pound Cakes
- Apple Cider Donut Cake – Full of flavor from fresh apple cider and applesauce!
- Deliciously Moist Gingerbread Cake Recipe – Spiced and aromatic, this cake is a holiday favorite. Enjoy it for dessert or breakfast!
- Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake – Cinnamony and sweet, it’s truly a cinnamon roll in cake form.
- The Most Luscious Brown Sugar Pound Cake Recipe – The sweetness of rich brown sugar and moist cake make this a melt-in-your-mouth delight.
- Sock It To Me Cake – A fun cake, in name and taste, filled with an irresistible cinnamon brown sugar pecan swirl!
Veggie Pound Cakes
- Sweet Potato Pound Cake Recipe – A delicious loaf pound cake topped with a spiced brown butter glaze.
- Sweet Potato Chocolate Marble Cake – A swirl of sweet and spiced sweet potato around rich chocolate makes this pound cake one you’ll crave again and again.
- Sweet Potato Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe (Video!) – A creamy combination of sweet potatoes and sour cream with coffee cake vibes.
- Easy Carrot Cake Recipe – Simple and delicious, a classic that everyone will love.
- Cornmeal Pound Cake – A rustic and textured cornmeal pound cake, perfect for slathering in butter.
- Pumpkin Pound Cake With Brown Butter Glaze! – Fall flavors shine bright in this rich and moist pumpkin cake with a brown butter glaze.
Unique Pound Cakes
- 7 UP Cake Recipe (7 UP Pound Cake) – A fizzy and flavorful twist on a classic pound cake, 7up adds a lightness and hint of lemon-lime.
- Marble Cakelettes And My Craftsy Class: Make Mine Mini! – A cute mini version of the classic marble cake.
- Red Velvet Bundt Cake – A beautiful and velvety cake that’s as tasty as it is eye catching.
- Buttered Rum Eggnog Cake – Rich, buttery, and festive, bringing the holiday spirit to the table!
How To Store Pound Cakes
- Refrigeration: For cakes with dairy-based frosting or icing, storing them in the refrigerator is important. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, or use an airtight cake box for storage. The cake will keep fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezing: Freezing your cake is most ideal if you have to make one ahead of time without a topping, or if you plan on keeping it longer than 3-4 days. For whole cakes, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer for 2-3 months. For freezing leftover cakes, it’s ideal to cut the cake into slices and freeze individual slices. Wrap each slice in plastic wrap and place the slices in a freezer-safe bag or container.
- Thawing: Thaw whole cakes overnight in the refrigerator. Individual slices should thaw after a couple of hours.
No time to bake?
You can get my cakes delivered right to your house! Grab one of these today:
Frequently Asked Questions
Overmixing your cake batter or using too much flour is likely the cause of dense pound cakes. It’s important to mix the ingredients until they are just combined.
During preparation make sure you don’t over-mix the batter and don’t over-bake your cake. Then when it’s cooled store it in a container or wrapped up tightly to prevent any air from drying it out.
Use a non-stick baking spray or shortening to coat the inside of the Bundt pan. Make sure to cover every nook and cranny of the pan. Then sprinkle it lightly with flour before adding your cake batter. Inverting a slightly cooled cake over a wire rack allows gravity to help remove it from the pan without breaking. If it seems to be a bit resistant, allow it some time to keep cooling.
Yes! This is especially great for larger events when you need to focus on other things the day of. Simply bake your cake, let it cool, wrap it in plastic wrap, and depending on when you need it either freeze or fridge it until then. Let it thaw or come to room temperature before serving.
Whether you love the old-school pound cake recipes or want to try something new, there’s a pound cake for you! There’s such a huge variety of recipes here, you will absolutely find one or two that you love! Let’s be honest, the best part of baking is not just eating what you made but sharing it with your loved ones.