If you adore the flavor of banana pudding, you will love this delicious banana milkshake recipe. It’s the perfect creamy and incredibly smooth banana pudding milkshake made frozen bananas, whipped topping, and vanilla pudding for a taste that’s simply decadent! This homemade banana milkshake will become your fave snack for when you’re craving something sweet and refreshing.
Banana Pudding Milkshakes have arrived! Banana pudding is a classic flavor that’s perfect for a milkshake remix!! I wanted to make it in a way that would be incredibly easy to duplicate at home.
The only problem you may end up having is an overdose of potassium from having a banana pudding milkshake several times a week!
Why You’ll Love This Banana Pudding Milkshake
- Tastes So Good! The combination of bananas, whipped cream, and pudding is a winner.
- Easy to make! Simple ingredients and a one step recipe is all it takes to prepare a banana milkshake.
- Kid-friendly treat the whole family will love! Milkshakes are always a hit when served up for dessert or a treat.
- Great way to cool down! While you can certainly indulge in milkshakes any time of year, they’re especially delicious and refreshing in the summer.
Ingredients to Make a Banana Milkshake
All you need are five simple ingredients and a couple extras for garnish to make the best banana milkshake. Here’s a look at the highlights but you’ll find the full list and quantities in the recipe card.
- Bananas: Use frozen bananas cut into slices. This is what’s going to make the ice cream base for the milkshakes by pulsing them until they’re the perfect texture.
- Whipped topping: Such as Cool Whip, works perfectly to add some sweetness and more creaminess/
- Milk: Coconut milk or your favorite dairy option works best.
- Vanilla Instant Pudding: This recipe uses just the pudding mix, you won’t be mixing the pudding.
- Vanilla Extract: For a bit more warmth and natural sweet flavors.
- Whipped cream and vanilla wafers: These are completely optional but make the perfect garnish for a homemade banana pudding milkshake.
How to Make a Banana Milkshake
Making this banana recipe is so easy!
- Add the milk, whipped cream, pudding, and vanilla to a heavy duty blender. And blend until it’s all mixed to the consistency you want.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with whipped cream and vanilla wafers! Enjoy.
Tips for Making the Best Homemade Banana Milkshake
My goal was not only to create a deliciously banana pudding milkshake here. I wanted to also create something that was easy and quick to make.
- Freeze your bananas the night before! I usually have frozen banana slices in my freezer because I love to add them to smoothies so it helps that whenever I have a craving for this, it is ready to go!
- A heavy duty blender or food processor is key! Don’t try this with a regular blender. It simply won’t work as well. Frozen bananas take a lot to break down so you need a high quality appliance to do so and make the end result completely smooth.
- Adjust your milk! If you love super thick and creamy milkshakes, go lighter on the milk but if you want your milkshake thin, add more milk . You can adjust as you go along! Also feel free to use any milk you like from almond milk to coconut milk.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
The flavors in a banana milkshake are so versatile! You can add additional flavors and ingredients to it to turn it into anything you can dream of.
- Add Some Berries: They all work but take some inspiration from this Raspberry Banana Ice Cream for a combination of flavors!
- Peanut Butter: PB and bananas are a winning combination and you get the added bonus of adding some protein to your milkshake.
- Chocolate: For chocolate flavor you can add some cocoa powder to the blender or you can also sprinkle it with chocolate chips.
What to Serve with a Banana Pudding Milkshake
- Add Some Extra Toppings. Drizzle it with some caramel sauce or chocolate sauce, add a generous spoonful of homemade whipped cream, and sprinkle with nuts!
- Serve it up with homemade cookies such as these butter ricotta cookies for garnish.
- Burgers and Milkshakes! If you’re looking for serving up these togethers I highly recommend my bacon cheddar burgers or a chipotle black bean burger.
How to Store a Banana Milkshake
A banana milkshake is best enjoyed freshly made. If you can’t finish it all store it in the fridge for up to 24 hours and then blend again with some ice. Just note that the bananas may turn brown as they thaw out and your leftover milkshake might not be as creamy as when freshly made.
Can I freeze my homemade banana milkshake?
Yes, you can! Though I think it’s best enjoyed freshly made. Store the extra in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to enjoy again, remove it from the fridge and let it thaw out slightly but not all the way. Return it to your blender and add a bit more milk to blend it up again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, of course! You can use homemade whipped cream or store-bought. However, I don’t recommend using whipped cream in an aerosol can as it may not hold its consistency.
Yes, you can use your food processor. While a regular blender doesn’t work well to blend up the bananas, you can use a food processor to do the same thing. You may find it’s necessary to add a bit of milk to the bananas to help them blend up.
In this recipe the two variables you will adjust to make a thinner or thicker consistency are the bananas and the milk. If you want it thicker, simply add more bananas and for a thinner milkshake add more milk.
This frozen banana milkshake offers a delightful twist on a classic favorite, creating an indulgent and satisfying milkshake I’m sure you will love!
Using frozen bananas and whipped topping in lieu of traditional ice cream, I’ve created a creamy and delicious milkshake that’s packed with natural goodness. Enjoy it as a treat to yourself on a warm afternoon or any time you’re seeking a frozen dessert option!!
More Milkshake Recipes You’ll Love
- Skinny Chocolate Milkshake
- Caramel Bourbon Milkshake
- Pineapple Upside Down Milkshake
- Pina Colada Smoothie
- Oreo Milkshake
*Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave comments below!* Post a photo of how your version of the recipe came out on Instagram (using #grandbabycakes)!!
Banana Milkshake Recipe (Tastes Just Like Banana Pudding)
- 2 ripe frozen bananas cut in slices
- ½ cup cold low-fat whipped topping
- ¾ – 1 cup milk I use coconut milk or use a low fat milk
- 4 teaspoons powdered vanilla instant pudding (just the powder, don't make the pudding!)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Vanilla wafers for garnish
- Add frozen banana slices, whipped topping, milk, instant pudding powder and vanilla extra to blender and blend until smooth milkshake consistency.
- Pour milkshakes into glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and vanilla wafers and enjoy.